Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc

iomega ego desktop silver. Dragged Mac OSX 10.6 HD icon onto

iomega ego desktop silver. Dragged Mac OSX 10.6 HD icon onto iomega icon. Whenever i turn on iomega and open icon it is up to date identical to everything on my Mac. Am I actually backed up on the iomega ???
Hi and Welcome. My Name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

From your description, it seems like you've backed up your whole hard disk - Macintosh HD (or Mac HD icon). But we can confirm it by looking into the used size of the Iomega drive and then compare it with the used size of your Macintosh HD. In your desktop, select your iomega icon, right click (control + click) on it and select Get Info from the pop up menu. From the Get Info window, check the Used Size.

Then check the size of the Mac HD same way. If they have same (or almost same) used size, then you've backed up everything.

I'd recommend to backup using Time Machine. Time Machine is far better than this manual backup method. With Time Machine your Mac will backup all files and applications AUTOMATICALLY and frequently. To setup Time Machine, follow the instructions in here :

If you have any questions or would like any additional information, please don't hesitate to ask.

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

iomega 21.32 GB mac 39.56GB

Why does iomega icon bring up up to date mac icon?

Ian, It seems like it didn't back up everything. You should use Time Machine to backup everything or you can use third party applications like Carbon Copy Cloner : or SuperDuper :

I'd recommend to backup with Time Machine or with Carbon Copy Cloner. Carbon Copy Cloner is the best third party backup program out there and its worth it.

I don't understand your question Ian, could you please elaborate ?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks re time machine.

Turn on iomega, open icon, shows up to date identical to mac HD including yesterdays pics. do not understand since GB comparison is different.

Is it OK to periodically do overall back up by dragging mac icon to iomega icon ??

Ahhh...I understand. Thanks for the clarification Ian. That is because you've copied everything from Mac HD to the Iomega. But the problem is, that won't backup some system files and other application files. That is why there is a difference in GBs. Manual backup is not a recommended method.

Yes it is OK to periodically do overall back up by dragging mac icon to iomega icon. But that won't backup all system files and other library files. For "entire backup", you should buy Carbon Copy Cloner or use Time Machine.
Ian, don't use the method of "dragging mac icon to iomega icon". Although that will backup the files, it is not a good solution. If you use Time Machine, your Mac will do regular backups including system files/applications automatically. It is very easy to restore backed up files from Time Machine too.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Best Regards,
Hi there,
It's me Ashik again. It has been a few days, so I am just checking in with you to see if you still need help, and if not to say Thanks for using JustAnswer.

I want you to be happy with the service I am providing, so if we still need to work on this let me know. If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them.

Thanks and Have a great day,