Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience:  7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

Hi I just updated Imovie and its now frozen , all panels empty

Customer Question

Hi I just updated Imovie and its now frozen , all panels empty except it says generating thumbnails but nothing is happening.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hi and Welcome. My Name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Do you have lot of projects on iMovie ? What version of Mac OS X are you using ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Quite a few projects
Mac OS X 10.7.5
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
This usually happens if it can't load the projects properly. Do you need those projects ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I could manage without as I've saved most as movies
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
5.7gb
16projects
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the delay Dick. Goto your Movies folder and you can find iMovie Projects in there. Open each project and if you can see folders named iMovie Thumbnails and iMovie Caches then trash them. Then open iMovie Events folder and trash the folders iMovie Cache and iMovie Thumbnails.

Open iMovie. If that didn't work, then remove one project and open iMovie. Do the same for all project until iMovie opens. Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting.

Best Regards,
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
We need to find out what project is causing the problem, so you have to remove the projects one by one and open iMovie to isolate the problem project. Let me know how it goes...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This could take some time .
Can I get back to you same time tomorrow.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Sure, add a bookmark of this page, so you can get back to me tomorrow. I'll be here for the next 10 hours here and at the same time tomorrow.

If you don't need the projects, you should delete them to improve the perfomance of your iMovie.

Best Regards,
Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience: 7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Left iMovie generating thumbnails overnight. Seems to work fine now. Lost 3 projects, nothing too serious. Thanks.Dick
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dick, I'm sorry for the delay...Glad you got it worked. If you have any questions or would like any additional information, please don't hesitate to ask.

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi I have completed the rating step.
Do you have any suggestions as why my macbookpro occasionally does not shut down.
Dick

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dick,
I'm supposed to answer only one question (subject) per thread as per policy of site. This is a new question, please post it as new question. You can ask me from here : http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-ashik/