Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

mail stuck on spinning logo

mail stuck on spinning logo
Hi and Welcome. My Name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Are you using Apple Mail application ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

apple mail but isp is register.com

Have you tried restarting your Mac ? Does your Mail freezes when you open it ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

tried restarting. mail freezes with spinning logo

When did this problem started ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

been having problem for last few days on all my 3 mac devices in sending email (but receiving was OK on all devices and still is on other 2) i think i may have made some changes to account settings on this mac that caused the freeze?

This usally happens if there is any problem with the preference files or if there is any email stuck on Outbox. What version of Mac OS X are you using ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

10.7.5

Christine, First we can reset the Preferences of Mail and see if that works or not. So force quit Mail then, on finder, Hold down Option key on your Keyboard, click on Go menu and select Library. This will take you to the Library folder of your User Account. Open Preferences folder. Then trash com.apple.mail.xxxxx.plist (xxxxx = various numbers), com.apple.mail.xxxxx.plist.lockfile
com.apple.mail.plist
com.apple.mail.plist.lockfile

Let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting.

Best Regards,

Christine, try this too if the above didn't work. Force Quit Mail, then on finder, Hold down Option key on your Keyboard, click on Go menu and select Library. You can find a Mail folder there (backup it to desktop first). Then open Mail folder (from Library). Open Mailboxes folder. If you can see a Outbox.mbox file in there, control + click (right click) on it and select Show Package Contents

Then trash the mbox file from there (don't empty the trash). Then open Disk Utility from Applications > Utilities folder. Then Repair Permissions and Repair Disk. Restart Mail.

Please let me know if that didn't work..

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Ashik . That did work thanks but I still can't send emails. Is that a different problem?

Hi Christine. Yes, it might be. We can run Connection Doctor and that will identify the problem. Open Mail, click on Window menu and select Connection Doctor. Run it and let me know if it reports any errors.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

IMAP accounts ok but SMTP could not connect to server

SMTP is the server you use to send emails. We can verify the settings of your Mail.
  1. Open Mail and choose Preferences from the Mail menu.
  2. Click Accounts in the Preferences window.
  3. Select (highlight) your account on the left side of the window
  4. Click the Account Information pane.
  5. From the "Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP)" pop-up menu, choose Edit SMTP Server list.
  6. Click on Advanced tab.
  7. Make sure the correct outgoing server is set there (it should be like mail.exampledomain.com where exampledomain is your domain name)
  8. Also make sure correct port is set there (try these ports 25 or 5125 or 587 with SLL Off and On)
  9. Restart Mail and try to send again.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Nearly there! message now sends and appears in inbox of other 2 devices but not this mac although i can see it in sent box?

Hi Christine,Click on Mailbox menu and select Rebuild Mailbox. Then restart Mail. That should work. Let me know...
Christine, Verify that the Incoming settings are correct too.
  1. Select Preferences from the Mail menu.
  2. Select (highlight) your account on the left side of the window
  3. Click the Account Information pane.
  4. Make sure the Incoming Mail Server is set to mail.yourdomain.com and incoming port is set to 110 (with SSL off). You can find port setting under Advanced tab in there.

Let me know how it goes...

Best Regards,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i can't find incoming port setting?

ps- i will give you a bonus as i realise i'm asking lots of questions!

No Problem Christine, you can ask as many questions you want :)

See this sample picture below;
graphic

Did you find it ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes but i have set that to 5125 and if i change it to 110 i can;t see any emails in inbox

Then change it back to 5125 with SSL. Can you check what is the incoming server/port of your other two devices ?
with SSL off
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

993 with ssl on and 143 with ssl off

Sorry for the delay..Can you try those two on your Mac ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

have now got both macs set to 993 ssl on and working!!!

only iphone still unable to send email

Glad to hear that :) Make the same changes on your iPhone too. Goto Settings and tap Mail, Contacts, Calenders. Tap your Mail account and tap Account (with your email). Tap SMTP and tap the server name and change the server and port. That should work. Let me know how it goes.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

changed phone to 993 ssl on but still not sending

Change it to ports 25 or 5125 or 587 with SLL Off and On. Any Luck ?
Change the port and server to the same ones of your Mac
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

when i do that (i.e. 993 ssl on) it says SMTP server not responding. check network connection and that you entered correct information in outgoing server field

Christine, Don't use the port 993 for Outgoing. For SMTP/Outgoing, use 25 (try with SSL on and off). If that didn't work, try 5125 with SSL on and off. Did that work ?
Also try 587 with SSL and without SSL
Christine, thank you so much for the Excellent Rating and the big bonus. Greatly appreciated !

Christine, Add a bookmark of this page, so you can get back to me directly if you have any problems. If you have any questions or would like any additional information, please don't hesitate to ask.

Best Regards,