Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience:  7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc

mail stuck on spinning logo

Customer Question

mail stuck on spinning logo
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hi and Welcome. My Name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Are you using Apple Mail application ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

apple mail but isp is register.com

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Have you tried restarting your Mac ? Does your Mail freezes when you open it ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

tried restarting. mail freezes with spinning logo

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
When did this problem started ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

been having problem for last few days on all my 3 mac devices in sending email (but receiving was OK on all devices and still is on other 2) i think i may have made some changes to account settings on this mac that caused the freeze?

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
This usally happens if there is any problem with the preference files or if there is any email stuck on Outbox. What version of Mac OS X are you using ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

10.7.5

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Christine, First we can reset the Preferences of Mail and see if that works or not. So force quit Mail then, on finder, Hold down Option key on your Keyboard, click on Go menu and select Library. This will take you to the Library folder of your User Account. Open Preferences folder. Then trash com.apple.mail.xxxxx.plist (xxxxx = various numbers), com.apple.mail.xxxxx.plist.lockfile
com.apple.mail.plist
com.apple.mail.plist.lockfile

Let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting.

Best Regards,

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Christine, try this too if the above didn't work. Force Quit Mail, then on finder, Hold down Option key on your Keyboard, click on Go menu and select Library. You can find a Mail folder there (backup it to desktop first). Then open Mail folder (from Library). Open Mailboxes folder. If you can see a Outbox.mbox file in there, control + click (right click) on it and select Show Package Contents

Then trash the mbox file from there (don't empty the trash). Then open Disk Utility from Applications > Utilities folder. Then Repair Permissions and Repair Disk. Restart Mail.

Please let me know if that didn't work..

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Ashik . That did work thanks but I still can't send emails. Is that a different problem?

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hi Christine. Yes, it might be. We can run Connection Doctor and that will identify the problem. Open Mail, click on Window menu and select Connection Doctor. Run it and let me know if it reports any errors.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

IMAP accounts ok but SMTP could not connect to server

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
SMTP is the server you use to send emails. We can verify the settings of your Mail.
  1. Open Mail and choose Preferences from the Mail menu.
  2. Click Accounts in the Preferences window.
  3. Select (highlight) your account on the left side of the window
  4. Click the Account Information pane.
  5. From the "Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP)" pop-up menu, choose Edit SMTP Server list.
  6. Click on Advanced tab.
  7. Make sure the correct outgoing server is set there (it should be like mail.exampledomain.com where exampledomain is your domain name)
  8. Also make sure correct port is set there (try these ports 25 or 5125 or 587 with SLL Off and On)
  9. Restart Mail and try to send again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Nearly there! message now sends and appears in inbox of other 2 devices but not this mac although i can see it in sent box?

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hi Christine,Click on Mailbox menu and select Rebuild Mailbox. Then restart Mail. That should work. Let me know...
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Christine, Verify that the Incoming settings are correct too.
  1. Select Preferences from the Mail menu.
  2. Select (highlight) your account on the left side of the window
  3. Click the Account Information pane.
  4. Make sure the Incoming Mail Server is set to mail.yourdomain.com and incoming port is set to 110 (with SSL off). You can find port setting under Advanced tab in there.

Let me know how it goes...

Best Regards,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i can't find incoming port setting?

ps- i will give you a bonus as i realise i'm asking lots of questions!

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
No Problem Christine, you can ask as many questions you want :)

See this sample picture below;
graphic

Did you find it ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes but i have set that to 5125 and if i change it to 110 i can;t see any emails in inbox

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Then change it back to 5125 with SSL. Can you check what is the incoming server/port of your other two devices ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
with SSL off
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

993 with ssl on and 143 with ssl off

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the delay..Can you try those two on your Mac ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

have now got both macs set to 993 ssl on and working!!!

only iphone still unable to send email

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Glad to hear that :) Make the same changes on your iPhone too. Goto Settings and tap Mail, Contacts, Calenders. Tap your Mail account and tap Account (with your email). Tap SMTP and tap the server name and change the server and port. That should work. Let me know how it goes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

changed phone to 993 ssl on but still not sending

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Change it to ports 25 or 5125 or 587 with SLL Off and On. Any Luck ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Change the port and server to the same ones of your Mac
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

when i do that (i.e. 993 ssl on) it says SMTP server not responding. check network connection and that you entered correct information in outgoing server field

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Christine, Don't use the port 993 for Outgoing. For SMTP/Outgoing, use 25 (try with SSL on and off). If that didn't work, try 5125 with SSL on and off. Did that work ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Also try 587 with SSL and without SSL
Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience: 7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Christine, thank you so much for the Excellent Rating and the big bonus. Greatly appreciated !

Christine, Add a bookmark of this page, so you can get back to me directly if you have any problems. If you have any questions or would like any additional information, please don't hesitate to ask.

Best Regards,