Michelle
Michelle, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Computers and Mobile support with 10 years of exp.
70409726

My problem is that my cursor have changed behavior. left click

My problem is that my cursor have changed behavior. left click and it immideatly start marking the area where i move it on the desktop.
When i right click it stops but gives me a menu of choises New Folder, Get info etc.
clicking on item on my desktop it will follow the cursor. doubble clicking does not change the behavior.
What to do?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

Appleologist :

Hi, and welcome to JustAnswer! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am excited to get started with you.

So I can better assist you with your issue, I will need additional information. Is there a black selection box around your menu items?

Customer:

no

Customer:

Hello??

Appleologist :

Our site should be back up now

Appleologist :

My apologies for the delay

Appleologist :

Click on the apple logo in the upper left corner and choose system preferences

Customer:

ok done

Appleologist :

Click on trackpad. It is under hardware

Appleologist :

Are you using a mouse or trackpad?

Customer:

i have both trackpad and mouse active

Appleologist :

Are they both at the same imac? Which on are you using now?

Customer:

both are active. Im using the mouse.

Appleologist :

Ok then choose mouse under hardware within system preferences

Customer:

done

Appleologist :

In the very top, confirm that tracking and scrolling are in the middle

Appleologist :

Double-click should be more towards fast

Customer:

they are

Appleologist :

Are all the checkboxes checked?

Customer:

scroll direction, primary mouse button left

Appleologist :

Ok, lets see if accessibility is active. Are both of your mice always active simultaneously?

Customer:

yes. i can go between them. they are active.

Appleologist :

When did you primary mouse begin acting up?

Customer:

i don t think it is the mouse or track pad. there must be a setting for the cursor that has been changed.

Appleologist :

Yes, it sounds like you may have accidentally activated accessibility. Within system preferences, click on Show all to go back then choose accessibility under system

Customer:

ok done

Appleologist :

We are going to verify all settings in the left column. Lets start with Display. Are there any checkboxes that are checked?

Customer:

no

Appleologist :

Next move down to zoom

Appleologist :

There should only be 2 checkboxes checked

Appleologist :

Use keyboard and smooth edges

Appleologist :

images

Customer:

yes they are

Appleologist :

Go down to voiceover, make sure it is not enabled

Customer:

its not

Appleologist :

Next go to keyboard, confirm no checkboxes are checked

Customer:

confirmed

Appleologist :

Lastly click on mouse and trackpad and also confirm no boxes are checked

Customer:

confirmed

Appleologist :

Also click on options and make sure items are unchecked

Customer:

no checks

Appleologist :

Last checkpoint is to click on Trackpad options and make sure enable dragging is unchecked

Customer:

the accesibility window froze when i clicked on trackpad options.

Appleologist :

Does it freeze every time or can you click on it again

Customer:

nothing happens. when I click on the window the yellow light is turned on.

Appleologist :

Is tap to click enabled on your trackpad?

Appleologist :

That sounds like a more probable cause since accessibility was not your issue

Customer:

i think it is not

Appleologist :

Go back to system preferences and and choose trackpad. Is tap to click checked?

Customer:

im in system pref/Accesibility. I cant get out of either.

Appleologist :

Click on the red circle in the upper left corner. If it is still frozen, click on apple logo and choose force quit. choose system preferences from the list

Customer:

doing that. Done

Appleologist :

Good. Now open system preferences again. Choose trackpad and verify if tap to click is checked

Customer:

tap to click is checked now.

Appleologist :

It should be unchecked. Tap to click allows you to select items by just tapping it. If it is enabled and you are still clicking the mouse, it will not function how it is suppose to. You also mentioned whenever you right click you get a menu. That is normal when you have right click enabled. If you do not want that feature, you can disable secondary click

Customer:

m. OK i have unchecked them - they were not checked before

Customer:

I have unchecked them. they were not checked before.

Appleologist :

Now try out your trackpad first to see if it asks normal again then we will move onto your mouse

Customer:

i clicked on file on my desktop. it selected look. i can move it but drop it or get out of the selected mood.

Customer:

Sorry. the selected file got the selected look. I can move it. But not get out of the selected mood.

Appleologist :

can you go back to your trackpad preferences. Under One finger, is dragging enabled?

Appleologist :

and drag lock? Both should be unchecked

Customer:

under point n click: look up is checked. Under scroll n Zoom: all are cheched Under More gestures: all are checked

Appleologist :

I really believe the issue lies where your screen froze before in accessibility

Appleologist :

Can you try to go back without it freezing. Within system preferences, click on accessibility

Appleologist :

Then Choose Mouse& Trackpad

Customer:

ok

Appleologist :

Click on trackpad options

Appleologist :

Is enable dragging checked?

Customer:

OK Im in. Scrolling speed not so slow. Scrolling is checked with inirtia. Enable dragging is not checked.

Appleologist :

Click on enable dragging and choose done. Test it out to see if it is the same or worse

Customer:

same. I can drag but get ridd of it.

Appleologist :

When you say get rid of it, what do you mean by that?

Customer:

i can t just move it to a new place and leave it - it will follow my movement on the track pad and will continue to be active. I cant deactivate the hosen file.

Appleologist :

Sounds like a permission issues. Let repair your computers permission. Click on the magnifying glass in the upper right corner and type in disk utility

Customer:

done

Appleologist :

Click on macintosh HD in the left column and then choose repair permissions

Customer:

OK it is repairing.

Appleologist :

When it is done, you will need to restart your computer and reset your PRAM. So bookmark our page before you restart so you can get back. To bookmark, click on Bookmarks from the top menu and choose add bookmark. To Reset the PRAM

1.Restart your computer .

2.Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command (⌘), Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.

3.Turn on the computer.

4.Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears. Let computer chime 4 times

5.Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound four time.s

6.Release the keys.

Customer:

Will do.

Appleologist :

I will stand by

Customer:

back again. nothing changed.

Appleologist :

Lets check for system updates. Click on the apple logo in the upper left corner and choose software updates. What updates are available?

Customer:

ok. i keep all my stuff updated. right now there was a new release on Imovie andItunes

Appleologist :

I doubt that will resolve this issue. It sounds like there may be a corrupted file or setting. The best fix is to re-install your operating system so it resets your settings without deleting any of your data

Customer:

Hmm. OK i wil have to consideer that. Need to make a security backup. Locate my disk etc. But right now I have to move on with my day. Thank you for your help!

Appleologist :

You are very welcome. Just come back to this chat when you are all freed up. In the mean time, I will do more digging to see if there is another fix without re-installing your operating system

Customer:

Thanks

Appleologist :

I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX patience and I will keep you posted

Customer:

Full Size Image

Customer:

Hi again

Appleologist :

Hello

Customer:

I disconnected the bluetooth. I connected a wired mouse. And the problem whent away. I turned on the Bluetooth and the problem came back.

Customer:

So the problem is with the bluetooth.

Appleologist :

What happens if you just enable bluetooth with one mouse instead of both at the same time

Customer:

It seems that the bluetooth mouse takes over and the problem continues. I close BT and the computer acts normal.

Appleologist :

Yes, but are you able to just turn off both mice and then just enable the trackpad mouse instead. Or does it happen with just one bluetooth mouse regardless

Customer:

OK ill check

Appleologist :

Ok, I will stand by

Customer:

hmm the mice are disconnected. the trackpad is connected. And..it works.

Appleologist :

So from what I mentioned earlier, you should not have both devices enabled at the same time

Appleologist :

even-though it worked fine before

Customer:

I guess that means that the bluetooth mouse interfered and should be sent to the waistbucket..?

Appleologist :

Well if the magic mouse is fine, you should be able to use either or but not both at the same time. Lets find out. Turn off your trackpad and turn on your magic mouse

Customer:

I did. And the problem is with the BT Mouse.

Appleologist :

Ok so the regular trackpad works and the wired mouse works. Thats better, the issue is not with the actual bluetooth device, just the mouse. Some times cleaning it with alcohol where the inferred light is helps. If not, you will need to replace your mouse

Customer:

I have done those things and the mouse is now a dead mouse. Thanks for your help!!

Appleologist :

You are very welcome. Have a great weekend

Customer:

you too.

Appleologist :

Thank you. I will

Michelle, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: Apple Computers and Mobile support with 10 years of exp.