Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.

iTunes will not sync all photos from iPhoto iMac to IOS 6

iTunes will not sync all photos from iPhoto iMac to IOS 6 iPad
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is Dan.
I will do my best to help you, the only stupid question is the unasked one.

What version of iOS is on the iPad.
What version of iTunes and OS X are you using?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ios 6.1.3
Ox 10.8.3
iTunes 11.0.3
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.

Ok Ross, there is a resolution issue bug in iTunes.

First thing to do is to repair permissions, this PDF explains why and how.

Repairing Permissions

Second thing is to reset the iPad.

To reset the iPad press and hold both the Sleep/Wake and Home buttons down until the Apple appears, ignore all other screens, then let go.

graphic

This does a system reset much like a restart of your computer does.

Make sure to wait for the Apple.

Then, even though iTunes is at 11.0.3 try running software update again just to be sure.

If it says it is ok then trash the iTunes plist.

To do that press and hold the Option key and click Go in the menu bar.

This reveals the user library.

graphic

Then follow this path to find the plist, it may not be in alphabetical order so look carefully.

graphic

iTunes will make a new one, it will not harm your iTunes Library.

Now try syncing and see what happens.

Please let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Daniel, I have followed your instructions however the problem persists.

I compared the number of photos in each event in iPhoto on the iMac and the number of photos that iTunes displays in each event and generally iTunes understates the total.

Any ideas?

Ross
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
It is not the number of photos it is the resolution the photos are in.
As a rule photos display at 72 DPI (dots per inch), this is great on a computer screen and for storage. 300 DPI or higher is what is usually sent to a printer.
This does not translate to the actual photo size because a photo can be 72 DPI and only 2" square or it can 8". Usually the higher the resolution the larger the size, usually.
What I am saying is what the photo resolution is is where the problem may be.
Select any photo that does sync and any that does not and compare the resolution and size of them.
The total number is XXXXX the issue, it is the format and or resolution.
Best is jpeg format, it is the standard for all, there are many other formats that work well and some that are proprietary to a device or software.
Does that help explain it?
Compare some and let me know what you find, I think there is a way to fix this without jumping though too many hoops.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Daniel, resolution wasn't an issue before.

I have rebuilt the iPhoto library and updated the thumbnails and all seems OK AGAIN.

Thank you for your support.

Ross

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
It only becomes an issue when Apple updates or changes something without allowing for that change in associated software.
Like iPhoto to iTunes to iOS device. Updating the Library was a good idea. Photo resolution (as in DPI or pixels) does make a difference.
iOS uses a compression algorithm to account for storage space and content.
That is why a 2 hour movie only uses 1.2GB and looks very good on the iPad.
Glad it all works now and al the photos are syncing.
Should you want help for anything else please ask Ross, I am here for just that purpose.
Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience: Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.