Jins M. N.
Jins M. N., Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience:  Mac Expert, 7+ years of experience in installation and trouble shooting of mac osx and apps

Help! My i Mac suddenly wont connect to internet. The WiFi

Help! My i Mac suddenly won't connect to internet. The WiFi says that No Hardware installed. This happe
Hi, Thanks a lot for posting your query here. I am Jins here to assist you. This is a widespread issue in iMacs. When you open the shut down dialog, by pressing control + Eject, there is a checkbox regarding whether the operating should return the computer to its state prior to shutdown. Uncheck that option and restart the system. I hope it will solve the problem.

1. Open the shut down dialog
  2. Uncheck the option
  3. Restart the computer
  4. If it not helps,you need to reset the system's PRAM (parameter RAM that holds hardware configuration options) and SMC (the system's power management controller). Apple has knowledge-base articles that cover how to reset the PRAM and how to reset the SMC.

After resetting PRAM and SMC, check and let me know the result.

Please remember these things when we deal with your issue. It may take more than one step/answer to solve a problem. So If my answers don’t work or if you are not satisfied, please don’t Rate my answer as Bad or Poor Service, but please Reply back to me by clicking the “Continue Conversation” or “Reply” button and I will gladly continue to help. Remember, only Rate answer after you are 100% Satisfied. Please do not rate an answer, if you are not satisfied.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I attempted the dialogue box yet it was unsuccessful. I'm attempting the Pram and smc option now.

Okay Kevin, let me know the result after it.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Jackpot! The PRAM did not appear to affect the issue but the SMC reboot evidently has solved the problem. Any input as to why this has happened? Anyway to prevent this?

Thank you for your help. This was a difficult one.

Hi Kevin, Happy to hear it worked. Actually SMC controls most power functions on mac systems. Due to some hardware error or file corruption your wifi hardware may lost the power and that may the reason of hardware not found message. Resetting SMC scanned all hardware devices on mac and found the wifi hardware.

Now please give a positive rating on my answer, then only I will get paid for my time and efforts. A good bonus will make me more happy. Remember us when you need any assistance again. Your business is valuable for us. You can ask a question directly to me by going to

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

FYI. The WiFi problem has returned. Using the methods you suggested is not working. I am heading to the Apple Store.

Hi Kevin, It is sad. It means, the wifi module or its slot on your imac is damaged. You should inform the apple store technicians, that we did an smc reset and it worked for sometime and the problem occured again. Then they can check and replace the damaged hardware part.