David, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  BSc, H.Dip, Apple Certified

Hi there. I have a Macbook Pro and a Sony Trinitron TV model

Hi there. I have a Macbook Pro and a Sony Trinitron TV model number DRC-MFV1. I want to watch movies downloaded on my Mac through the tv but am struggling to do so. I have connected a cable to the tv with 3 RCA plugs on one side and a VGA plug on the other side. I have connected the VGA plug to the Mac with an Apple Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter. I also have a 2RCA cable connected to the Mac's headphone port for the audio. On the mode HD/DVD1 there is a picture showing connection but the movies are not playing on the tv screen, nor is there any sound. Could you perhaps let me know what I am doing wrong? Thank you so much!
Category: Mac
Expert:  David replied 11 months ago.
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX X will do whatever I possibly can to help answer your questions.

Where are the movies downloaded from, is it the iTunes Store?

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi David. Thanks a lot. Yes the movies have been dowloaded from the (South African) iTunes store. I can't understand because in the past I had no problems watching movies on my iPad through the tv, for this I used a cable with the 3 coloured pins which went into the tv and connected the iPad with the 30 point port, but I am really struggling to get the Macbook connected to the tv
Expert:  David replied 11 months ago.
Hi Angelique,

The problem is not all that complicated. It seems like it could be many things but in fact it is just one. Content from the iTunes store can only be played back on external devices that support HDCP. HDCP is a security measure brought in to protect content. It is demanded by content producers like movie companies, to prevent playing out Movies to a recording device, but it also stops you from watching your purchased content on external devices that don't have it. You can see the requirement here, in a Note towards the middle:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3209

Only modern TV's with a HDMI port will have HDCP, it only works with HDMI. The iPad content you played must not have had the HDCP protection on it.

This is not Apple's fault or a problem with iTunes, it is enforced by the big movie companies I'm afraid.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Yours sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you David. I understand. Will it make any difference if I tell you the movies watched through the iPad were also downloaded through the iTunes store and watched on the same Sony television?
Expert:  David replied 11 months ago.

I'm afraid not, those must have not had the HDCP protection.

You can download something without HDCP protection, and it should play, to show that HDCP protection is the problem.

You can go to YouTube and play that on the external monitor.

Try that and let me know if there is any problem with it. Sorry I did not suggest this in the earlier post. I should have.

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you David, I am going to try that now.
Expert:  David replied 11 months ago.

No problem. Let me know when you are ready and want to continue.

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have tried playing a You Tube video as well as another movie downloaded from iTunes. In both cases I do have sound but only a blue screen, in other words no picture
Expert:  David replied 11 months ago.

Then there is an issue with external video. The iTunes content will still be an issue, but normal content should not be an issue.

Click the Apple menu in the top left and click System Preferences. Then Displays.

Do you see the 'Arrangement' tab?

Thanks,
David.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Under displays, I only see the tabs "Display" and "Colour"
Expert:  David replied 11 months ago.

Then it is not recognizing the external display is connected.

Do you have any other display to test with, preferably a computer monitor?

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Yes I have another laptop
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Sorry, now I have the "arrangement" tab
Expert:  David replied 11 months ago.

Under the arrangement tab there should be two rectangles. They represent the MacBook screen and the external display. You can move them around with the mouse, using drag and drop.

Also there should be a checkbox that says 'Mirror Displays'. Is that ticked or unticked?

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Yes I see the two rectangles. The mirror displays was unticked. When I ticked it the computer screen came onto the tv screen for a second before disappearing again
Expert:  David replied 11 months ago.

Can you check all the connections carefully. Disconnect them and reconnect them again. Then tick Mirror Displays again.

It sounds like there could be a faulty or loose connection.

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thanks I've checked and rechecked. The display keeps going and going. It seems the VGA port and Apple VGA adaptor don't connect well, the picture comes and goes and no matter how I jiggle and adjust I can't get it to work. So frustrating because both were very expensive!
Expert:  David replied 11 months ago.

The Apple adapter coming from the MacBook to the VGA cable should be OK. Do you mean that the connection between the Apple adapter and the cable that goes into the TV is not snug?

Those cables are not as expensive, and you might have a second one from a different device or TV.

Does the picture come in and out when you wiggle the connection?

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The screen is just blue, once in a while for a second I get a very distorted picture for a second. It seems to me the VGA cable going into the Apple adaptor is not as good as it should be, it seems to fit nicely but there are two screws on either side which need to go into the adaptor and try as I might these screws just won't fir into the Apple adaptor, I think they are too short perhaps!
Expert:  David replied 11 months ago.

This to me is a connection issue, and not at all like a setting or software issue. A software or stetting issue would tend to give an all or nothing situation. This is more of an analogue problem. Check also the three connections into the TV.

As for a different TV, or Display, have you got another you could test with?'

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I think you're right. I'll go see if I can go change the cable for another one. Thanks for your help!
Expert:  David replied 11 months ago.
Hi Angelique,

You're welcome :)

Changing just the cable will only eliminate the cable as the issue though. It would be much better to test this with a different display also to get more information.

You should test with a VGA monitor if you can. Perhaps ask a friend or colleague if you could test it on their display.

Please let me know if I can be of any more help.

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
We haven't got another old TV but I'll try when and where I come across someone who does have one, thanks for your assistance, you've been very kind!
Expert:  David replied 11 months ago.
Hi Angelique,

You're very welcome. I'm sorry it turned out the issue was ambiguous with out a clear result. Remember you can always ask me anything when you do test it with another screen.

Please take a moment to rate my advice and remember that it will not close the questions. You can bookmark the question and come back to it at any time.

Kind regards,
David.
David, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: BSc, H.Dip, Apple Certified