David, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  BSc, H.Dip, Apple Certified
39216975

My Mac Microsoft Office 2011 will not open. I was deleting

My Mac Microsoft Office 2011 will not open. I was deleting several files at one time and it quit. Cannot reopen.
Category: Mac
Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I possibly can to help answer your questions.

Is there any error message when you try to open Office?

IS it the same no matter what application from Office applications you try to open?

Thanks,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is no error message when I try to open Outlook. My Excel and Word apps open fine.
Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.
Hi Janice,

If it is only Outlook it seems like a specific Outlook preference.

Please shut down. Then power on and hold Shift.

Release Shift when you see the spinning gear and wait for login.

After login, try Outlook. Please get back to me to tell me what happens exactly.

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have shut down and powered up again with the shift key down. Now I'm waiting for my virus software to stop scanning, so I can try Outlook.
Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

How is it going?

It doesn't actually sound like Safe Mode worked. If it had worked then no startup software would load, including virus scan.

If Safe Mode works you will see 'Safe Mode' in red letters at the login window. If you didn't see that please shut down and try again. You need to hold Shift key right after pressing power. When you see the spinning gear you can release it.

Let me know if it gives you any trouble.

Kind regards,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok, I will try it again.
Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX know when you are ready to continue.

Best regards,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I started up and it showed the "Safe Boot" message in red. My virus app did not fire up. I will try to open Outlook.
Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.
Excellent, let me know what happens.

If it fails please click the Apple menu in the top left, and 'About This Mac', and tell me what version of OS X it says.

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That did not work! I'm using 10.8.3.
Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

Please restart normally, without holding Shift.

Next we are going to rebuild the Office Database.

It's important to follow these steps in the right order and thoroughly.

This Microsoft article lists them one by one:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2360509

Please follow those steps in sequence and get back to me.

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've accessed the info and will follow the steps. Thank you for your patience.
Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for yours :)

let me know when you are ready and want to continue.

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was finally able to get Outlook to open; however, I had to create a new identity and none of my messages and saved folders are there. I feel like I've lost my identity!
Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.
Hi Janice,

It works with a new Identity, which is good. Outlook does not need to be reinstalled.

The rebuild steps did not work so the original identity is beyond repair, as it says in the Microsoft article.

You can however set up your email, and all your emails should return.

That should include folders if they were stored on the server.

Please add your email account details and verify you can send and receive.

Kind regards,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your help. I hate having to start all over again, but at least my app is intact.

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.
Hi Janice,

In the future you can make a routine backup of the Identity, using Time Machine is probably the easiest.

Let me know if you have any other Mac questions now or in future. It will be my please to help you.

Yours sincerely,
David.
David, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: BSc, H.Dip, Apple Certified