David, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  BSc H.Dip Apple Certified Professional
39216975

We changed email hosting services and now the email client

We changed email hosting services and now the email client is warning about a redirection (specific message not available) for the incoming email server. Basically this was a DNS change to a new IP address. Allowing it enables normal operation for that email session. It does not happen on web sites, etc. How do we fix? Is this a security settings? Do we need to flush the DNS?
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I possibly can to help answer your questions.

does your hosting provider require you to use a specific DNS server? This would be unusual, as DNS is just a table lookup and normally you could use any.

Does the error message say "specific message not available"?

Thanks in advance,
David.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I don't have the specific message other than it says something about a redirection and is it okay to continue. The hosting is via hostgator. The prior host was a small local company whose service became terrible. Other Mac users are unaffected. I first thought about a DNS highjack, but nothing else was affected. It is a manager's computer and not always available. I want to get some ideas before looking at it. I have the info on how to flush the DNS, but it seems that it should automatically update. The mail server's name stayed the same. I am not sure if he is running any antivirus or not. The message could be coming for that too. I appreciate your help.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I may have access to the computer this afternoon, if so I will see if I can get specific data.
Hi Michael,

The simplest thing to try is to change the DNS servers.

The Google DNS servers are the best so change them to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

Let me know how it goes, I will be online and available all day.

Thanks,
David.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'm still trying to get access to the machine. I'll contact you if it doesn't work. Thanks for the great service!

Michael