Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
19098653

My mac mini screen is flashing again. I asked a question on

Customer Question

My mac mini screen is flashing again. I asked a question on Sunday about the same thing now it's back again. Solution on Sunday doesn't work this time. Please can you help.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is Dan.
I will do my best to help you, the only stupid question is the unasked one.

Can you tell me more about the flashing? What kind of flash? On/off, bright/dim, on boot up or while running?
What version of OS X is on it?
How old is the Mini?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

After boot, loads OS 10.8 then flashes alternating between OS page and blue page for about a second on each screen.

Mini was purchased in April 2013

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
You mean the normal desktop and then a blue screen?
I suggest an SMC reset to see if that helps.

1. Shut down the computer.
  2. Unplug the computer's power cord.
  3. Wait fifteen seconds.
  4. Attach the computer's power cord.
  5. Wait five seconds, then press the power button to turn on the computer.
Please do it precisely and let me know what results.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK I will try that again. I have tried it several times already ...

Still flashing.

OS background to blue screen to OS with tray to blue screen to OS background etc

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Ok, then next I suggest reinstalling Mountain Lion. This will not harm your data but may be a short way to fix this.
Failing that it could be hardware. Your Mini is still under warranty and any repairs are covered as long as you did not do it damage (doesn't sound like it).
You just got it in April and it should not be doing this at all.
To use the reinstall do the following.

Let me know, please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK it is in progress now and still flashing ...

Looks like it will take a while

You said my files would be ok - yes? I have Parallels 8. Will that be ok too?

FYI - when I load to windows in bootcamp ... no flashing.

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Then that rules out hardware. What software is opening on startup? I mean what apps are running when you get to the desktop?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I don't know. I don't have the load to windows ticked when it shuts down. I wonder if Parallels is doing something.

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Open System Preferences,

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
Then open Users&Groups.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
Click on Login items and see what starts up on boot.
If you need to click the lock and enter your user password.

You can add or remove items all you like. Note what they are and select one at a time and click the minus to remove.
Take all out and see if that changes anything.
To put them back click the plus and the finder will open.

You might want to tell me what you find before removing them.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I can try once Mtn Lion has downloaded. looks like it will take a few hours. How long will you be online for?

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Ok, you are restoring, good.
It says it will take a long time but it always says that so you feel good when it gets done ahead of time.
I will be online until 11 pm eastern standard USA time.
It will do no harm to any apps, data or libraries.
I do hope that you back up regularly.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So that is 2 more hours. The download is giving 5 hours. So can we pick this up tomorrow? or Friday?

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
We can, I am on tomorrow and Friday off and on all day. I will watch for you if it goes past 11.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I may not have too much time tomorrow but will be available all day Friday to hopefully resolve. Do we just keep this trail open?

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Yes, please. Friday is fine for me.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Will you be available this evening to pick this up?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Will you be available to pick this up this evening?

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Am on now.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Screen was still flashing after restore.

Did a hard reboot and it cleared.

All was ok for about an hour then started again

I have been researching this myself and it may be related to my dual monitors. It seems others have had same problem

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Did not know you had dual monitors.
What brand are they and are both in landscape mode?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Asus and Acer and yes.

From what I read - it seems a known bug for some running Mtn Lion / Parallels. Suggestion by some is to disable 3D

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
It works fine with one but not both and Windows has no issue with them.
That means it is a flaw in the OS X.
You are up to date with 10.8.3, correct?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes 10.8.3

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Just for grins is there another monitor of any kind available?
You have one connected HDMI and the other Mini display port?
Can you switch them?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I don't have another. They are connected HDMI and Thunderbolt with VGA adapter

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Can you switch the connections between them. One is HDMI and the other VGA, are they able to connect otherwise?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry, for delay in responding. There is something I really have to attend to now. Can I reconnect over the weekend? Apologies.

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Yes, I do not give up easy nor do you.
Go do whatever it is. I am on and off myself.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Daniel, The flashing seems to have gone away for now. I need to reduce my bootcamp partition without losing any files. Do you have any experience of that?