Michelle
Michelle, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Computers and Mobile support with 10 years of exp.
70409726

I was trying to get my macbook pro ready to give to my son

I was trying to get my macbook pro ready to give to my son and reformat the drive back to factory settings. I did the control R or maybe it was the command R and got to the disk utilities. I erased the disk and then before I was able to reformat the power went off at our home. I now get the flashing ? on the screen. Help
Category: Mac
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

Appleologist :

Hi, and welcome to JustAnswer! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am excited to get started with you.

You are getting the flashing folder because you did not re-install the operating system after reformatting the hard drive. Boot back into lion recovery by pressing and holding command+r again

Appleologist :

When you see the Lion OS X utilities box, choose Reinstall Mac os X

Customer:

OK here's the problem. It goes in to internet recovery mode. It does not show my router on the screen. I have 3 other Macs that are running and they have no problem finding the router. In fact one is located right next to my MacBook and has a full signal.

Appleologist :

Try to reset your computers PRAM first.

1.Shut down the computer.

2.Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command (⌘), Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.

3.Turn on the computer.

4.Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears. Let computer chime 4 times

5.Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound four time.s

6.Release the keys and then boot back into Lion Recovery partition

Customer:

Tried that. Back to flashing ?

Appleologist :

You forgot to press and hold command + r after resetting the PRAM. Shut down your machine again and press and hold command+ R

Customer:

Pressed and held command + R on startup. Back to choose network but it doesn't show my network.

Appleologist :

Does it show any other networks that do not have locks next to it?

Customer:

No. Only shows 3 others that are not mine and locked.

Appleologist :

Even though your other machines connect fine, turn off your router for 20 secs then turn it back on.

Customer:

Tried all that. Restarted computer with command + R. Internet recovery mode once again does not show my router. Check the iMac sitting next to it. Full signal.

Appleologist :

From what I am observing from our chat, it looks like whatever machine you are chatting from is not fully connected. Your status still shows that you are offline or standing by. Did your machine come with an install disk or did you purchase lion via the app store?

Appleologist :

Full Size Image

Customer:

The machine we are chatting from is an IMac and shows to be connected. I checked under System Preferences...Network and it recognizes my router and shows a full signal. The Macbook Pro did not come with an installation disk. It came preloaded from the Apple store.

Appleologist :

Then you will need to hard wire your computer into the router. We will be disconnected temporarily. Do you have an ethernet cable?

Customer:

yes

Appleologist :

Ok then hard wire your macbook pro directly to your router

Customer:

I will try that.

Appleologist :

Ok I will stand by

Appleologist :

You may need to shut down your macbook pro and re-boot while pressing and holding command+R after connecting your machine to your router

Customer:

PERFECT!!! Great job. Thank you!

Appleologist :

You are very welcome. The install should take roughly 35-45 mins. When it is done just disconnect your ethernet cable

Appleologist :

Was there anything els I can assist you with today?

Customer:

Yes Thank you.

Michelle, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: Apple Computers and Mobile support with 10 years of exp.