Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

RA-ryl

Customer Question

Yesterday I saved an Excel for Mac 2008 file that I have previously opened and saved many times. Today it tells me that it is read-only, and I can't open it.
Category: Mac
Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX X will do whatever I possibly can to help answer your questions.

In the Get Info window what does it say for Owner, User and Group?

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No info on that. I note that this file was originally created in excel 97-2004. Currently accessed and used in Mac excel 2008.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It gives no information on Owner etc.

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

Owner User and Group are the three items in the Name column, under Sharing & Permissions.

Can you see those?

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The sharing and permissions line at the bottom of the pane gives no info whether I point the arrow downward or to the right.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Now I see them. Ken (me) is read and write. Everyone else is read only.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, Ken (me) is read and write privilege. Everyone else is read only.

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

Click the Apple menu in the top left. What does it say to the right of 'Log Out'?

Does Sharing and permissions say 'Ken (Me)' exactly?

There should also be a checkbox for 'Locked'. Is that ticked?

Thanks,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

To the right of "Log Out" it says Ken.

It says ken (Me).

Lock checkbox is not checked.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Click the Apple menu in the top left. What does it say to the right of 'Log Out'? It says Ken

Does Sharing and permissions say 'Ken (Me)' exactly? It says ken(Me)

There should also be a checkbox for 'Locked'. Is that ticked? no.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Did you get my answers? I sent them twice.

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

Please move the Excel file to your Desktop.

Now try to open it. This doesn't conclude troubleshooting as we need to find out what is wrong with the folder if this does work. So please let me know how it goes.

Sincerely,
David.
Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

Yes I got them but I was locked out of the question, sorry for the delay.

Yours sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Doesn't open from desktop.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I just got this message in a pop-up box:

Warning 120
Warning: there is probably another web application connected to the same Lightstreamer Server within this browser instance. That could prevent the current application from connecting to the Server. Please close the other application to unblock the current one.

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

I believe there is a lock file in the folder it was last saved in. Please put it back in the folder you just moved it from.

Then open Terminal. It is in /Applications/Utilities/

Then I need to know the path to the item to give you the next command.

Where is the file stored on disk?

Thanks for your patience,
David.
Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

Please restart your browser for the other issue.

Regards,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

path

/Users/ken/Documents/reference ken/financial

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK, I will quit the Chrome browser and open it again.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Back with you with re-opened browser.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Browser has been restarted. Are we still in contact??

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

Can you open Terminal.

Type:

cd /Users/ken/Documents/reference\ ken/financial/

Note that there is a backslash before the space.

Then please press return.

Now type:

ls -al

Then press return.

Can you see your document listed? Is there another document with almost exactly the same name?

Sincerely,
David.
Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ken,

From my side I am having site issues with access denied errors. I apologize for this and the delay it is causing in getting back to you.

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

This time, miraculously, I stayed on the same page. Your software didn't kick me to a new page as it usually does after every entry.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Did my message on Terminal get through. I don't see it here. Again I got sent to a marketing page.

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ken,

No, I have only what you can see on this page sorry :/

Can you post it here again please?

Thanks,

David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

total 488
drwxr-xr-x 11 ken ken 374 May 14 16:07 .
drwxr-xr-x 30 ken ken 1020 Mar 14 17:20 ..
-rw-r--r--@ 1 ken ken 6148 May 14 16:06 .DS_Store
-rw-r--r--@ 1 ken ken 17408 May 25 2008 2008 financial overview.xls
-rw-r--r--@ 1 ken ken 19968 May 25 2008 2008 liquid assets.xls
-rw-r--r--@ 1 ken ken 17408 Oct 27 2010 2010 financial overview.xls
-rw-r--r--@ 1 ken ken 19968 Dec 8 2010 2010 liquid assets.xls
-rw-r--r--@ 1 ken ken 17920 Jun 14 2012 2012 financial overview.xls
-rw-r--r--@ 1 ken ken 20480 Jun 7 2012 2012 liquid assets.xls
drwx------@ 4 ken ken 136 Aug 2 2012 Eaton Vance
-rw-r--r--@ 1 ken ken 118784 May 13 17:56 k checking acct.xls
Macintosh:financial ken$

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The file that won't open is k checking acct, the last one in the Terminal list.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

David, this is taking a LONG time. Is it hopeless?

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

I'm afraid I have run out of ideas on this but I can opt-out and it will be placed in the pool of open questions. I think this is more of an Office specific issue rather than a Mac issue, and perhaps an Office expert can take it up from here. I am sorry.

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Appreciate your efforts. Please report the extremely frustrating business of my being repeatedly flipped to a different and irrelevant page.

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

I will do that, thanks Ken.

Sincerely,
David.