John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience:  20+ years in the computer/Mac industry
60674955

Hello, Im on a Mac osx version 10.8.3, all my browsers have

Hello, I'm on a Mac osx version 10.8.3, all my browsers have stopped working but I still have full Wifi and skype works. I cleared cookies and caches, the hard drive, verified disk, it was all good, I repaired discount permission, all good. I restarted computer, skype still works. Browsers firefox and safari still can't find server. I'm communicating with my android that has an independent Internet connection. I would be grateful for some help
Category: Mac
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Hello! My name isXXXXX will work diligently to provide accurate advice and information.

Can you tell me if anything was installed/removed around the time you lost internet access in your browsers?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes a new router
But my service provider configured it. All I had to do was plug it in. When I first plugged it in, skype was working and I could access my Google homepage on firefox and Facebook, I followed some random Internet advice online that told me to clear cookies, th
and caches and once I did that I can no longer find servers for even Google or fb
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, Nadia.

In the menu bar click the Apple logo and choose System Preferences.

Click Network

Click Advanced

Under the DNS tab, is anything listed?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
192.168.0.1
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, Nadia.

Select this number and hit the "-" button below it.

Then click OK and close the Preferences window.

Next restart your Mac and once you are connected to wifi, try browsing.

If you continue to have questions on this topic, just reply back to this discussion. I will be more than happy to work with you further. Hopefully, this info will answer your question. If so please, please remember that when you are asked to give a rating, you are rating my personal service only and not this website itself or your issue.

Thanks and good luck,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It won't let me select it this 192.168.0.1
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
are you still with me?
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Okay, hit cancel on that screen to go back to the Network screen.

You should see an orange lock in the lower left.

Click it and sign in with your password.

Then click the Advanced tab and try once more.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It still won't. The font is a light gray... Alsothe"-" is a light gray font as well. My only option on this page is to click the"+ " sign and when I do that it gives me zeros so I hit cancel
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Okay, can you tell me what is listed on the TCP/IP page next to Configure IPv4?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
using DHCP
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Alright thanks,

Go back to the DNS page.

Click the + sign and in place of the zeroes, put 8.8.8.8

Click the + sign again and put 8.8.4.4

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK. Give me one sec
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Will do. I'll be here.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK. I did this. Still no server found. I have full wireless and skype still working
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Okay, can you go back to the previously mentioned TCP/IP page and give me the complete listing of data there please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
using dhcp
Ipv4 192.168.0.1
Subnet mask 255.255.255.
Router 192.168.1.1
Configure ipv6 address. Automatically
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Alright, let's try this:

Change Configure IPv4 to Manually

Change IPv4 Address to 192.168.1.100

Leave ther est the same:
Subnet mask 255.255.255.(Was there another number here ater the last . there should have been)
Router 192.168.1.1
Configure ipv6 address. Automatically

Then on the DNS tab, change the 192.168.0.1 if still present to 192.168.1.1

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, I checked and the subnet mask has 0 at the end. I did your changes, display I restarted again?
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Yes, once eveyrthing is entered. click ok, close System Preferences and restart.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
everything still same and can't find server. The only difference is this time it said another computer is using this IP address
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Okay, on the TCPIP tab

Change IPv4 Address to 192.168.1.200

The rest should remain:
Subnet mask 255.255.255.0
Router 192.168.1.1
Configure ipv6 address. Automatically

Then on the DNS tab, you should have:
192.168.1.1
8.8.8.8
8.8.4.4

click ok, close System Preferences and restart.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pardon my french but... Holy f**kin shit. You are my hero, I want to marry you xxxxxxx. Thank you it's working now
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Haha! Awesome, glad to hear it!

You are very welcome!

I enjoyed working with you – please feel free to request me again at any time when you come back to ask another Apple-related question. I can be reached directly via the following page:

http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-macdruid/

John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience: 20+ years in the computer/Mac industry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will indeed. Have a great evening!