Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
19098653

I need to find a better way to hook up hard drives to my mac

I need to find a better way to hook up hard drives to my mac pro. I do video editing non stop all week long with FCPX. I have 15 hard drives mostly 3TB Western Digital connected by USB. I also have hard drives hooked up via Firewire 800. Things become very slow.
Lately I disconnected all of them except for 2 that had the latest material on them and it smooths out a bit.

I tried to use a RocketU quad and it just doesn't work. Apparently it won't work with certain hd's. I can't get it to work with any drives.

So, What will work with this computer to hood up external hard drives to edit video with?
Perferably a unit that I can plug hard drives in and out when needed.
I have an earlier 2009 mac pro 2 X 2.26 Quad Core Intel Xeon
Memory 16gig running version 10.8.3,
Graphics NVidia GeForce Gt120 512mb
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is Dan.
I will do my best to help you, the only stupid question is the unasked one.

It is probably not the interface that is the problem but is the directories on the drives and the permissions of OS X.

This utility is what I use to keep all my hard drives behaving correctly, (I do not have 15 but usually 7 or 8).
It will set you back $100. but is worth every penny.
It will make a big difference in Finder performance, plus making editing easier, (I do video editing a lot also).

Repairing Permissions

That PDF explains about permissions.

This Widget does permissions and other tasks.

Maintenance Widget

USB is not as good as Firewire or Thunderbolt because USB cannot be daisy chained like the other two.

Slows things down locating where things ar.

Also if you can decrease the number of drives online at a time it will help.

Hope that helps.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I do the repairing permissions, trashing things on fcpx with digital rebellion rebooting etc.

It does work a lot better when I only have 2 drives hooked up which I did a few days ago.

The question is how can I hook up more with a faster interface? My machine will not take thunderbolt. USB 3 does not work. So I would think some sort of Esata thing that holds hard drives that I can take in and out when needed.

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
I see, you want a quick exchange of drives. I do have a suggestion for that.
I have not used this but have heard it works well.
It does allow hot swapping and at that price more than one would be nice.
It has the Firewire interface, which in my opinion, is better than USB ever will be.

That of any help?
Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience: Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.