Michelle
Michelle, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Computers and Mobile support with 10 years of exp.

How do I transfer data from a Mac Mini to a Mac Power PC

How do I transfer data from a Mac Mini to a Mac Power PC G5?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

Appleologist :

Hi, and welcome to JustAnswer! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am excited to get started with you.

So I can provide you with the best answer, I will need additional information. Are you interested in transferring certain pieces of data? Or transferring all data?

Customer:

All data... including email and iPhoto

Appleologist :

The best way to transfer all of your data from your old machine to your new one is using an external hard drive. You will then need to copy over your entire users folder. Do you have an external hard drive with you now?

Customer:

Yes, Have an external ... but It's the reverse... Mac Mini to the Power PC...

Appleologist :

Oh. Are they both running the same operating system? To find out what operating system they are running, click on the apple logo in the upper left corner and choose about this mac. Read me the version number for both machines

Appleologist :

Let me know if you are having trouble finding the version number

Appleologist :

Are you still there?

Customer:

Sorry... I'm back.

Customer:

The Mac Mini is running 10.7.5

Appleologist :

Its ok. No problem

Customer:

The Power PC is running 10.5.8

Appleologist :

You can back up your computer using time machine which comes with your computer. Since you are going from 10.7 to 10.5, you will not be able to restore the entire image. Instead, you will need to drag and drop your files manually

Appleologist :

On your mac mini. Connect your external hard drive. Then click on the magnifying glass in the upper right corner and type in time machine

Customer:

Backing up the Mac Mini to external using time machine.

Appleologist :

It should take another 30mins depending on how much data your have to backup. Once it is done backing up, all that is left to do is connect your external hard drive to your Power Mac G5 and drag the contents from your backup to your computer. So you will drag contents from the documents folder off your external hard drive and then drop them into the documents folder on your computers. (to select everything in the folder, press command+a Or choose Edit from the top menu bar and choose select all) Repeat the same steps for your picture folder, music folder etc. Since your computers are not running the same operating system, you will need to sign into your email using your username and password

Customer:

great

Appleologist :

Let me know if you get stuck on any of the above steps

Appleologist :

Good Morning, I wanted to follow up with you to see how the transfer went

Appleologist :

.

Michelle, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: Apple Computers and Mobile support with 10 years of exp.