Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

imac - boot problem .. when I push option buttion and power

imac - boot problem .. when I push option buttion and power up picture of hard drive with an x .. does that mean bad hard drive
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Not necessarily a bad drive but it may have a corrupted directory. Do you know what system version it is running?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Not sure I think it is os x .. on the boot up it says something about gs powermac 8.1

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
OK I meant the version of OS X. Hold the power button for about 10 seconds then start it up and hold the Shift key until you see the Apple Logo. If it starts up OK, it may take a while, then restart the normal way. Let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

when I held power and held shift key .. it came up with what looked like a command prompt ..

It said

apple powermac 8, 1 5.2.2f2

type mac-boot or shut-down

when I typed mac-boot it went back to the boot failure screen

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
After you type mac-boot then hold the Shift key.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK so the first thing that comes up is

panic ... unable to find driver for this platform .. powermac 8.1

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Do you have your system disk?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately I cannot find it -- how can I get another ?

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
You would have to know what system version it was. Do you have the model or serial number for the iMac? Also try this:

Resetting the PRAM.

1. Shut down the computer.
2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need them in step 4.
3. Turn on the computer.
4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys before the gray screen appears.
5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts.
6. Release the keys.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Pressing and holding the Command-Option-P-R keys at the same time results in a reboot attempt .. i get the apple logo but then with a noise binggg followed up with the same screen as before that says unable to find driver for this platform -

The serial number is XXXXX

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
OK restart and hold Command - O - F, that's the letter O not zero. You should see a command prompt. Type

reset-nvram

hit Return, then type:

reset-all

hit Return
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

holding command - o - f did not get me a command prompt .. only went back to original screen re .. no driver

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
OK try it that way instead of mac-boot.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I did both of the resets words when I went back to the method that gave me the command prompt and inserted those commands instead of mac-boot but still go no boot after reset

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
OK you will need to get a system disk to boot from. You can only go as high as Leopard (10.5) with that model so I suggest you get that disk:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?_kw=APPLE+OSX+Leopard+10.5+Retail+Install+DVD+Disk

When you get the disk put it in and restart holding down the letter C key until you see the Apple logo. Choose your language then you get to the install screen DO NOT INSTALL, you will see at the top of the screen a Utilities menu drop down. Go the Disk Utility, Highlight your hard drive (usually Macintosh HD) and click on Verify Disk on the right. If that is OK and only if that is OK click on Repair Permissions. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair. If Repair is successful then Repair Permissions if it is not successful let me know.

Mike, Mac Medic
Experience: Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for all your effort .. Michael

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
OK, no problem you can come back when you get that