Cris
Cris, Mac Specialist
Experience:  4 years Mac Specialist, Apple Certified.
10156100

Hi For a school project my daughter has produced a video

Customer Question

Hi

For a school project my daughter has produced a video (from smart phone clips) which has been saved with a .mov extension.

I have tried to copy this file, which she has successfully emailed to my Mac (and plays on my Mac), but when I "burned to disc" using a DVD+R (4.7GB) and load it into our DVD player it comes up with "Unknown Disc"

Her file is about 7.8MB

Plerase can you advise?

Charles
Category: Mac
Expert:  Cris replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com I am Cris and will be glad to assist you with your question.

Can you tell me how did you burn the movie onto the DVD? Did you use iDVD?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Chris

No, I just went to File on the Finder menu.

Charles

Expert:  Cris replied 1 year ago.
Hi Charles,

Unfortunately that is not the proper way of burning a video file onto a DVD which will play on a DVD player.

Can you tell which version of Mac operating system you have? If you are unsure. Top left click on the Apple icon and on the drop down click on "About this Mac". Your version will be listed in the box that appears 10.5, 10.6, 10.7 or 10.8?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi

It is 10.8.3

Charles
Expert:  Cris replied 1 year ago.
You have the newest Mac operating system 10.8. With 10.8 they removed iDVD which was included software for creating DVD's from a video file. They instead want people to send video using iCloud.

Which is not conventional for everyone especially if you need to make a DVD. A program is needed to create a video file into a playback DVD that will play on a DVD player. I have included a link for a software called Wondershare. It is not free but the software will allow you to create DVD's from video files exactly what you are trying to accomplish. It is a very good software.

Click here>>>WonderShare

Once installed you burn the file to a disc through the software and it will play on your DVD player.

Let me know if you have any further questions BEFORE selecting a negative rating. I will answer your follow ups.
Cris, Mac Specialist
Experience: 4 years Mac Specialist, Apple Certified.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Chris

I found a copy of iDVD in my Applications folder. I have used this to make the video and it plays on the DVD machine.

I also downloaded the programme you mentioned but did not want to purchase it for a one off project.

Thanks for your help

Charles

Expert:  Cris replied 1 year ago.
Your welcome did you upgrade your to 10.8?

Let me know if you have any further questions. Selecting a positive rating so that I am credited for assisting you is appreciated.

Expert:  Cris replied 1 year ago.
Hi Charles,

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Let me know,
Cris