Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

My late 08 hardbody macbookpro seems to have lost its settings

Customer Question

My late 08 hardbody macbookpro seems to have lost its settings so that Airport will not work on wifi. I need help checking the settings - it says it's on, but it can't connect. Many thanks.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, go to About This Mac (DO NOT Select More Info), and tell me the Version (under Mac OS X), the Processor and the Memory, it is all right there.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi.

Version 10.6.8. 2.4 GHz Intel Core @ Duo; 4GB 1067 MHz DDR3.

Thanks.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
OK.

I want you to check some things that may or may not be affecting the situation. It is posted as an Answer because of site rules but it is really just a diagnostic test. So please don't Rate to Finish just Reply to Expert when done.

Open Macintosh HD / Applications / Utilities and double click Disk Utility. Highlight your hard drive, usually Macintosh HD, and click on Verify Disk on the far right. If that is OK in green type, then click on Repair Permissions on the left.

Note: If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair. If Repair is successful then Repair Permissions if it is not successful let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Are we done?

Thx

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
No did you do that?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes - the disk was okay, and permissions were restored. I don't think we have a very good connection because I've sent this info twice.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Ok go to System Preferences / Network go to Locations at the top and to Edit Locations make a new one called Test then Apply. Go to the Airport icon and connect to your WiFi network and put in the password. Let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Created Test, I'm on the network which says connected, but I see no place to have to put in my password.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Is your network password XXXXX? Try Safari.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I don't really have a network, just this computer and a router for netflix.

I'm not aware of it being protected.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
WiFi is your "network". Turn the router off and unplug from power for a few minutes then turn it on and restart your computer.
Mike, Mac Medic
Experience: Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hey Mike

It's fixed. I unplugged the mac from the router and it still got on with airport. Many thanks.

Jim

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Great!!