Michelle
Michelle, Mac Technician
Experience:  Apple Computers and Mobile support with 12 years of exp.
70409726

My systems preferences has disappeared and now I cant find

My systems preferences has disappeared and now I can't find safari..it was never in the trash. I looked under the application and it isn't there either. I'm reinstalling the applications disk...help!!! I have to be able to get on the Internet!!

Appleologist :

Hi, and welcome to JustAnswer! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am excited to get started with you.

So I can better assist you, I will need additional information. Are you communicating from another computer? What operating system are your running?

Customer: No. I'm on my iPhone. I have a MacBook Pro.
Appleologist :

On your macbook pro, click on the apple logo in the upper left corner and choose about this mac. Can you read me the version number?

Customer: 10.6.8
Appleologist :

You mentioned you had the install disk, is it currently inside your machine?

Customer: I installed the application disk by safari didnt appear. I was about to install Mac OS disk but haven't yet
Appleologist :

Before we move forward, lets just confirm that safari is indeed deleted. On your mac, click on the magnifying glass in the upper right corner and type in safari, chrome or firefox

Customer: Ok
Appleologist :

Let me know if either of those three appear

Customer: Firefox works
Appleologist :

Ok great, we will use firefox to get safari

Customer: When I type in safari a big drop down menu apprears...
Appleologist :

Do you see the safari app?

Customer: No
Appleologist :

OK so you can download safari via firefox. Go ahead and open firefox

Customer: K
Appleologist :

Go to apple.com/downloads

Customer: K
Appleologist :

Go to mac software updates towards the bottom right and choose Mac OS and Software

Customer: I don't see that..can I click on download safari?
Appleologist :

Yes if you see it

Appleologist :

Do you see where it says download safari?

Customer: I I clicked on download safari and it took me to another page but I don't see a way to download it
Appleologist :

Lets do this, click on the apple in the upper left corner on your mac and choose software update. What updates are available

Customer: It's checking for new software
Appleologist :

ok

Customer: Still checking
Appleologist :

ok

Customer: I went back to the downloads page and found under software Mac OS and clicked on that
Customer: Ok it says safari 5.1.9 and java for Mac version 15
Customer: That as under software update
Appleologist :

Sorry for the delay, we are experiencing some system issues

Appleologist :

Have you installed the safari update?

Customer: I downloaded both and I believe safari is back!! :) but when I exited out I lost the icon on the dock..how do I get it to stay on the dock?
Appleologist :

I will show you how to keep it in the dock. Click on the magnifying glass in the upper right corner again and type in safari

Customer: Nevermind it works!! Yay!
Appleologist :

Ok good! Was there anything els I can assist you with today?

Customer: Ok now I have lost my system preferences ?
Appleologist :

To get back to system preferences, click on the apple logo in the upper left corner and choose system preferences

Appleologist :

Would you also like that to remain in the dock?

Customer: The icon isn't on the dock
Customer: Hmm I clicked on system preferences and nothing happened
Appleologist :

Try it again. If it does not work, restart your computer

Customer: Restarting...something happened earlier..the system preferences ended up in the trash I removed it from the trash bin but then it wouldn't work and now the icon is gone
Customer: I went under finder and hit preferences
Customer: I clicked on startup disk under spotlight and under devices clicked on Mac HD and it has a big X on the system folder and a message comes up and says cant open the application system preferences because it may be damaged or incomplete
Appleologist :

Ok that may be because it was in the trash

Appleologist :

Is it in the application folder yet

Customer: No
Appleologist :

Drag it back to the applications folder

Customer: Drag what back...it's Ben removed from my trash
Appleologist :

So were is system preferences now?

Customer: I don't know I think it's gone. I can get into it from the spotlight but there's no icon
Appleologist :

Can you open your trash and see if it is in there? You mentioned that it was trashed

Customer: The trash is empty
Appleologist :

We may need to re-install your operating system. Before we do that, click on the magnifying glass in the upper right corner and type in disk utility

Customer: K
Appleologist :

click on macintosh HD in the left column and then choose repair permissions

Customer: K
Appleologist :

When it finishes, restart your computer

Customer: K has about 10min to go it says
Appleologist :

Ok

Customer: If this doesn't work then what..this is taking forever
Appleologist :

You will need to re-install your entire operating system. Initiating the re-installation is easy however the installation itself will take about 40-60 mins. I appears your mac has multiple system issues which is why repairing permissions is taking longer than normal

Customer: The reinstall disk what came with my computer?..Mac os install DVD? Yeah alot of things are appearing on the screen. Reinstalling my operating system won't mess up my safari will it?
Appleologist :

Yes the Mac os install disk is what you need. No, re-installing your os will not mess with safari

Customer: I need to get going..can I save this and return to u later?I got my safari back and that was the major thing. I'm a flight attendant and need to run some errands before I fly out
Appleologist :

No problem, yes your main issue was solved so you do have safari back :) you can always re-install your OS at a later time if you wish. Just pop the install disk in and follow the onscreen instructions

Customer: Awesome!! Thank u sooo much!!! :)
Appleologist :

You are very welcome. Have a safe flight

Customer: Thank u! Have a great day!!
Appleologist :

I will :)