Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

My daughters mac book air arrow is frozen and tried the suggested

Customer Question

My daughters mac book air arrow is frozen and tried the suggested options
esc alt cmd and turning off then on whilst pressing left shift but still frozen. Also a message has appeared saying there isn't a keyboard connected. Any ideas?
Vanessa
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Try this and let me know:

Resetting the SMC & PRAM on portables with a battery you should not remove on your own
1. Hold the power button for about 10 seconds to Shut down the computer.
2. Plug in the MagSafe power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if its not already connected.
3. On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.
4. Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.
5. Press the power button to turn on the computer.
6. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys before the gray screen appears.
7. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts.
8. Release the keys. 

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

This hasn't worked

Vanessa

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Can you shut it off at all by holding the power button for at least 10 seconds?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes I did shut it off and followed all the instructions but it's still frozen.

There is a message that says there isn't a keyboard and at the bottom of the message it says that no keyboards have been found. Make sure your keyboard is "discoverable" and it appears to be searching...

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Is that a MacBook Pro? Has there ever been an external keyboard connected? How old it it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It's a macBook air bought in December 2012 and there has never been an external keyboard connected as it has a keyboard..

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
When you tried to restart holding the Command-Option-P-R keys before the gray screen appears, did you hear it restart again or did it just start up. What do you see on the screen when it is "frozen"?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It makes the usual sound when turned on. First I see the option for the users and a couple of seconds later the message headed Bluetooth Keyboard Setup appears with the message looking for a wireless keyboard.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Are you continuing to hold the Command-Option-P-R keys?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes and just trying again. Kept holding down but the same message eventually appears and I continued to hold after that too but nothing happens.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Ok do you have an external USB keyboard around?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
How about a mouse or does the trackpad still work?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

trackpad doesn't work but have an external mouse I could use

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
OK Please plug them in andgo to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, go to About This Mac (DO NOT Select More Info), and tell me the Version (under Mac OS X), the Processor and the Memory, it is all right there.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Version 10.8.3

Processor 1.8GHz intel core i5

Memory 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
I want you to check some things that may or may not be affecting the situation. I am required to post any procedure as an Answer even if it is just a diagnostic test, so please ignore the Rate to Finish box and Reply to Expert after you have tried that.

Restart the computer while holding the Command and R keys to boot to Recovery HD partition, when it boots select the Disk Utility and Continue. Then select Macintosh HD on the left and first Verify Disk on the right and if that is OK Repair Permissions. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair Disk.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok at the end of this it said in green that the volume Macintosh HD appears to be ok. I unplugged mouse but it still didn't work.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Did you also Repair Permissions after that?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Is there nothing else to try? Please let me know ASAP as you don't appear to be online at present. Thanks

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
I am online why do you say that? Did you repair Permissions? Try this again with a working keyboard:

Try this and let me know:

8. Release the keys. 

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No luck

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Did you hear it restart this time when holding Command-Option-P-R keys? You are using the external keyboard correct?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No didn't hear it restart and yes using external keyboard except for the power key. I held the keys down for a long time but nothing happened.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
If you are sure these are the keys you are holding and you are not hearing the computer restart chime again then I'm afraid you have a more serious hardware failure. You will need ot take it to Apple or other service provider, sorry.:

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
MacBook Air does not have a bluetooth keyboard so it is just not recognizing the one you have and asking for another. When you did this:

Resetting the SMC on portables with a battery you should not remove on your own
1. Shut down the computer.
3. On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option or ALT keys and the power button at the same time.

It should have reset the System Management Controller which would bring back that keyboard if it was just a software issue. Since it did not the keyboard has either failed or maybe just got disconnected... only a technician can tell at his point.