Michelle
Michelle, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Computers and Mobile support with 12 years of exp.
70409726

My Mac is telling me that my start-up page is full. How to

My Mac is telling me that my start-up page is full. How to I fix that?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

Appleologist :

Hi, and welcome to JustAnswer! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am excited to get started with you.

You will need to delete some data from your computer in order to free up some space. Normally photos and videos take up more space. Do you have an external hard drive?

JACUSTOMER-Customer- :

yes. we've moved our music files there trying to fix this problem.

Appleologist :

Ok so now you will need to delete the files you have moved over to your external hard drive from your computer and then empty the trash

JACUSTOMER-Customer- :

so, move all the itunes to the trash?

Appleologist :

Before you do that, lets see if that is the largest file. Open itunes and tell me how large your library is. Click on music in the left column under library. Look at the bottom of the itunes window. You will see the size amount

Full Size Image

JACUSTOMER-Customer- :

My file is 9.4 GB, but my son's is much larger. and I don't have his password, but I could text him and get it.

Appleologist :

Ok so there are more than one accounts on your computer?

JACUSTOMER-Customer- :

yes

Appleologist :

Do you know what operating system you are running? To find this out, click on the apple logo in the upper left corner and choose about this mac. Please read me the version number

Appleologist :

Were you able to find the version number?

JACUSTOMER-Customer- :

version 10.6.8

Appleologist :

Next, we are going to find out what exactly is taking up the most space on your hard drive

JACUSTOMER-Customer- :

My son's music is already on the external hard drive, and his files are no longer on the computer itself. we thought that would solve our problems, but it hasn't.

Appleologist :

Have you emptied the trash in his account?

JACUSTOMER-Customer- :

yes.

JACUSTOMER-Customer- :

ohh....... maybe not.

Appleologist :

Can you empty the trash?

Appleologist :

in both accounts

JACUSTOMER-Customer- :

if I sign out to go to his side, will I lose you?

Appleologist :

You can bookmark our chat before you switch accounts. You can actually switch accounts without signing out. Does your account name display in the upper right corner next to the magnifying glass?

JACUSTOMER-Customer- :

yes.

Appleologist :

That means fast user switching is enabled so you will not loose me. Bookmark this page just incase. To switch into your sons account, click on your account name and then choose your sons account. When you are in his account, click on the trash can to see if it is empty

JACUSTOMER-Customer- :

ok... wish me luck.

Appleologist :

Good luck :)

JACUSTOMER-Customer- :

so, I have to log out, right?

Appleologist :

No, click on your name in the upper left corner and choose your sons name. Doing it this way will not log you out. Instead it allows you to simply switch between accounts. Do the same thing to get back to your account

Appleologist :

Im sorry, upper right corner

JACUSTOMER-Customer- :

ok

Appleologist :

I will be waiting

JACUSTOMER-Customer- :

I emptied the trash. Not much there, I suspect.

Appleologist :

Ok now open finder by clicking on the happy face icon in the dock. Do you see macintosh hd listed in the left column?

JACUSTOMER-Customer- :

yes i do

Appleologist :

Select macintosh HD and choose File<Get info. You will then get a info box. Under General, read me the Capacity and available storage

JACUSTOMER-Customer- :

I don't see file<Get info there

Appleologist :

File is in the top menu bar right next to the apple logo in the upper left corner. Select Macintosh HD again and then choose file get info

Appleologist :

if you are still unable to find it, we can go another route

JACUSTOMER-Customer- :

I din't have to select Mac HD, but I did find some info..

Appleologist :

Lets use disk utility instead. Click on the magnifying glass in the upper right corner and type in disk utility

Appleologist :

Select disk utility to open it

JACUSTOMER-Customer- :

OK

Appleologist :

select macintosh HD in the left column. Now at the bottom of disk utility, you will see Capacity and available. Can you please read me those numbers

JACUSTOMER-Customer- :

I'm in the HD portion, showing a number of applications. but nothing re: capacity etc.

Appleologist :

Are you in disk utility?

Appleologist :

This is what it looks like

Full Size Image

JACUSTOMER-Customer- :

perhaps not.

Appleologist :

Click on the magnifying glass again and type in disk utility

JACUSTOMER-Customer- :

i typed in disc utility upper right mag glass ok i will again

JACUSTOMER-Customer- :

OK in disc utility

Appleologist :

Great. Now click on macintosh HD in the left column. Then look for capacity and available and read me the numbers

JACUSTOMER-Customer- :

I'm there, and there are many application listed with numbers, but they are not totalled

Appleologist :

is macintosh HD selected in the left column?

Full Size Image

JACUSTOMER-Customer- :

yes it is

Appleologist :

And does the bottom of disk utility look like this?

Full Size Image

JACUSTOMER-Customer- :

what utility disc? The window I'm working with now is titled Macintosh HD.

Appleologist :

You are in the wrong window. Lets go back to finder. Open finder again. In the left column just select macintosh HD in the left column under devices. Let me know when it is selected. To select macintosh hd, just click it once

JACUSTOMER-Customer- :

done

Appleologist :

Ok now press Command+ i key

Appleologist :

Press and hold the command key first, then press the i key

JACUSTOMER-Customer- :

ta-da! i have numbers

Appleologist :

Ok great! Can you read me the capacity and available numbers?

JACUSTOMER-Customer- :

capacity 249.72 GB on disc. available zero KB

Appleologist :

Ok, that means your son may not have deleted his music from the computer. Lets check. before we do that, is the trash in your account empty?

JACUSTOMER-Customer- :

yes it is.

Appleologist :

Ok, now we are going to check the file size for multiple folders using the same command+ i trick. Within the macintosh hd folder, you should see a users folder

JACUSTOMER-Customer- :

the same page with the numbers? must be another page.

Appleologist :

No, you can actually close the page with the numbers

JACUSTOMER-Customer- :

yes.. found it

Appleologist :

Ok now select the user folder. You should now see both your account name and your sons

JACUSTOMER-Customer- :

yes, and my wife's too.

Appleologist :

Oh so there are 3 accounts. Ok start with the first account. Select it and then press command+ i In the upper right corner of the box, you will see a GB size amount

JACUSTOMER-Customer- :

my son's is 9.16 GB. is that huge?

Appleologist :

not at all. Thats pretty small

Appleologist :

Now do the same for the next 2 accounts

JACUSTOMER-Customer- :

good, then his music isn't there.

Appleologist :

it does not look like it. Lets see if your account or your wife accounts are larger

JACUSTOMER-Customer- :

I'm at 110.12 GB, my wife 53GB

Appleologist :

Wow! All this time you were suspecting your son and you are the culprit. Ha ha

Appleologist :

Ok lets see that is taking up so much in your account, Go ahead and select your account. You should now see a series of folders. Like documents, pictures etc

JACUSTOMER-Customer- :

You are right! I blame him for everything. i have 12GB of music, but all this data could be movies of him playing music.

Appleologist :

select the movie folder and press command+ i

Appleologist :

What size is it?

JACUSTOMER-Customer- :

the movies are under [picture...... 77GB right there

Appleologist :

Ok so your picture library is taking up all the space. Is it mandatory for it to be on your computer or are you ok with keeping them on the external hard drive?

JACUSTOMER-Customer- :

hard drive would be fine. Can you help me move them there?

Appleologist :

Ofcourse :) First, connect your external hard drive to your computer

JACUSTOMER-Customer- :

It is.

Appleologist :

Before we transfer over data, lets check how much space you have left. select your external hard drive and press command+ i

JACUSTOMER-Customer- :

Need help find external icon. Iv'e never used it

Appleologist :

It should be listed under devices in finder

JACUSTOMER-Customer- :

my son says it's a terrabyte

Appleologist :

Oh ok thats perferct

Appleologist :

Thats more than enough space

Appleologist :

Did you locate the hard drive in the left column under devices?

JACUSTOMER-Customer- :

it's not labelled but I think i've found it.

Appleologist :

Click on it to see if there is anything saved on it

JACUSTOMER-Customer- :

called backup plus drive

Appleologist :

That sounds like it. Now navigate back to your entire picture folder

JACUSTOMER-Customer- :

yes, some music has been saved as well as movies

JACUSTOMER-Customer- :

help me get to my photos. I forget.....

Appleologist :

Open your finder window again. Click on macintosh HD, choose the users folder

Appleologist :

Then choose your account folder

JACUSTOMER-Customer- :

ok, got it.

Appleologist :

Now drag your entire picture folder and then drop it into your external hard drive

Appleologist :

You will now get a box determining the length of time it will take to copy

JACUSTOMER-Customer- :

the ext HD has gone away. Drag to desk top?

Appleologist :

No.

Appleologist :

Press command+N to open a new finder window

Appleologist :

If your external drive is still not visible, let me know

Appleologist :

Are you still there?

Appleologist :

Whenever you get this, all that is left to do is drag your entire picture folder and place it on your external hard drive. Then deleted the contents inside the picture folder. Not the picture folder. Then empty the trash

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hello. My computer went wacky and froze up. I think we transfered the necessary files to the external hard drive. can you help me verify this?

Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
Yes I can. Select the picture folder on your external hard drive and then press command+ i. Make sure it matches the size on your computer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

it said 427.8 GB.

Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
Make sure you are selecting only the folder that you transferred from your mac. Is there a "picture folder" in your external hard drive?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes. It has the 77GB I transferred successfully! Yea! Now do I drag a file to the trash?

Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
That is correct. You are not going to delete the pictures folder, only the stuff inside the picture folder. Are there a series of folders or just iphoto library?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I've found a quicktime movie file that's 67GB, and another file with 9GB

Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
Was that inside the picture folder? If so, check to see if it was transferred to your external hard drive. If so. Go ahead and delete everything inside the picture folder (Not the actual picture folder itself) and then empty the trash. To highlight everything at once, press command+a then drag them into the trash or press command+delete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

will do. dinner just arrived. how long are you working?

Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
I will be here for a few more hours so I should be here when you get back.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

back in 15 minutes. thanks

Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
See you then
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I did the above. How can we check that I did it right?

Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
Open finder again, select macintosh HD again. Press command+i The capacity should still be at 249 but your available storage should not say 0 anymore. You should have at least 75GB of free storage
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Exactly! So that should solve my start up disc issues, correct?

Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
Yes it does! You can periodically check your storage by selecting macintosh HD and pressing command+i to make sure you do not run into this issue again in the future. You are all set. Was there anything els I can assist you with today?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

All set here. Thanks for your outstanding help.

Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome. I also appreciate your continued patience .
I hope I’ve provided the resolution you were seeking. If you are happy with my service, please provide a rating. Have a fantastic rest of your day
Michelle, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: Apple Computers and Mobile support with 12 years of exp.