Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

We have an IPAD 2 and for the second time, all of the Contacts

We have an IPAD 2 and for the second time, all of the Contacts have been deleted for no apparent reason. Why does this happen and can they be restored without having to manually re-enter them all?
Hi and Welcome. My Name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Did you setup iCloud on it ? This usually happens if there is any problem with iCloud syncing. I've had the same problem with my iPhone and had to disable Contacts syncing.

On your iPad, goto Settings and tap iCloud. In there, if the Contacts is turned on, turn it off. Then select "Keep on My iPad" option from the resulting menu.

From now on, your contacts will not be deleted. Let me know if happens again...

About restoring, did you synced your iPad with your iTunes prior to this problem ? Or do you have backup on iCloud ?

You can check whether if you have any backup on iCloud by going to Settings > iCloud > Storage & Backup

In there, click Manage Storage and can you see your iPad's backup in there ?

Please let me know, so we can try to restore them.

Best Regards,
Dick, on your PC goto www.icloud.com and can you see your Contacts there ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Don't think we ever set up an iclaoud account. Tried all the Apple id passwords, but iCloud would not accept them.

We have three IPads, two of the original ones and this problem never has happened on them. My wife uses the IPad 2 and has lost contacts on that one twice. It's registered under her [email protected]

iCloud is the only know reason for that problem, other wise it must be a glitch with the operating system i.e with the iOS. On the iPad 2, goto Settings and tap iCloud. What do you see there ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Account [email protected]

Nine categories starting with mail and ending with find my ipad all are off

last category storage and backup

Thanks for the info Dick. Although iCloud account is added there, you are not using it. Since you are not using, scroll down and delete the account by tapping Delete Account button. Then on the iPad, goto Settings, tap General. Tap Reset. Tap Reset All Settings. This will reset all the settings of the iPad, so if there is any problem with the settings, that will be fixed. Also, since iCloud is deleted, your iPad will not try to sync with iCloud anymore and that should prevent the contacts from being deleted.

Resetting won't delete any of your photos, videos or or other contents. It will only reset some settings to default. So it is safe to reset it.

Did you synced your iPad with iTunes on your computer prior to this problem ? If so, we can try to restore the deleted the contacts. Let me know..

Best Regards,

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Have followed your instructions and the Ipad is now resetting. I'm not sure if this ipad was synched with itunes. i think i can check that later. the main thing was to fix the problem so it won't happen again. It's asking if we want to use Icloud. If I answer Don't use icloud, that should avaoid the problem in the future, right?

Yes Dick. Don't use iCloud since you are not using it. If you are going to use it, then let me know and we can setup it correctly.

I'd recommend to sync and backup your iPad to iTunes on your computer. Download and install iTunes on your computer from here : http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

Connect your iPad to your computer and open iTunes. In iTunes, select your iPad in the top right. Under Summary tab, click "Backup" and make sure "To this computer" is selected under Backup.

This will backup your iPad to your computer. So if anything happens to your iPad, you can easily restore eveything back.

Also, with iTunes you can transfer and sync photos, videos, musics etc to your iPad from your PC and vice versa.

Add a bookmark of this page Dick, so if it happens again you can get back to me directly without paying again.

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Added you on my bookmark bar. Will follow your instructions on synching with i tunes. Thanks

Dick

You're most welcome Dick. If you have any questions or would like any additional information, please don't hesitate to ask.

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Ashik,

After resetting everything on the IPad back to the factory settings as you suggested, I can not get it to connect to our major WiFi network.

When I select the strongest network on the settings screen, which has three bars, the IPad just keeps circling and then goes to a very weak network that is not strong enough to enable activity.

It was on the strong network before I did the reset. How do I get it back there?

Dick

Hi Dick,
On your iPad, goto Settings, General and tap Reset. Then Tap Reset All Settings. Now try to connect.

If that didn't work, press and hold down Power button and Home button at the same time until your iPad restarts. Then try to connect to WiFi.

Please let me know if that didn't work Dick.

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The reset is in progress and I'm on the screen that asks to choose a network. When I tap on the one I want, it just circles and circles and will not let me select. We live in a log house and the original network was very weak in many parts of the house so I had two extenders hard wired and placed in different rooms. That's the network that I'm trying to get back on. If I select the old weaker network, it will show connection to that, but the stronger network just keeps circling..

Can you turn off the router of the stronger network, unplug it then turn it back on after 5 minutes and connect again ? It seems like the problem is not with your iPad, but with the network
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

There is only one router and my older IPad is not experiencing any problem. I'll try rebooting the router and will let you know if that solves the problem.

Thanks Dick.
If that didn't work, then press and hold down the reset button (or hole with pin or paperclip) for 5 seconds. Then try to connect your iPad. Let me know...

Resetting will temporarily disconnect your internet though. Don't hold the reset button for too long.

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Looks like rebooting solved the problem and let me reconnect to the network I wanted. Thanks.

Dick

Glad to hear that Dick. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Have a great day,
Hi Dick,
It's me Ashik again. It has been a few days, so I am just checking in with you to see if you still need help.

I want you to be happy with the service I am providing, so if we still need to work on this let me know.

If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them.

Thanks and Have a great day,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Ashik,

Worked fine for about 48 hours and then yesterday for no apparent reson, the IPad2 was once again unable to connect to the stronger network.

Today I downloaded the latest software, synched with ITunes (there were no contacts there) then unplugged the modem, the router and both hard wired router extensions and turned off both Ipads. When I plugged everything back in, the older Ipad1 went right to the stronger network, but the IPad2 will not connect to it. It just keeps circling and will then go to the weaker network. I just tried resetting all setting on that IPad which did work the other day, but didn't work this time.

Any other suggestion?

Dick

Hi Dick, Can you reset the router and see if that works or not ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Reset the router, but that still didn't work. The name of the network I'm trying to connect to is NETGEAR. There are two Netgear Wireless-N Access Point devices that are hardwired to different places in the house. Both IPads have always ( for several months) gone directly to that network because it's the strongest. When I now tried to join the NETGEAR network with the IPad 2 I got a message that said Unable to connect to NETGEAR, yet the IPad 1 is connected to that one, so it's not a problem with the network.

Is there some setting on the PC that need to be reset to allow this IPad2 to connect to that network?

Dick

Hi Dick,
I'm very sorry for the delay..Apologies. Yes, we can try something. Connect your PC to Wireless, then on your PC, press Windows and R keys. This will open Run box. Type cmd and press enter.

Then type ipconfig /renew and press enter. Then restart your router, reset your iPad and connect your iPad to the Wireless network. Let me know if you are still having the problem.

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Ashik,

Not sure what you mean by connect PC to wireless. It is currently wired to the router. Is that what you mean?

Dick

Hi Dick,
If it is connected wired already, then no problem. Try my suggestion. If it still not working, we can restore your iPad from your PC.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Still won't let me connect to the right network. I'm out of here for several hours. If you have any more suggestions, I'll try them later.

Dick

Yes I have. We can restore your iPad and setup it as new iPad. If this is a software problem, restoring the iPad will fix it. But this will wipe out everything from your iPad. Do you want to do that ? Let me know...
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Haven't been on the computer for a couple of days and earlier this morning your web site wouldn't open.

If I do restore and setup the Ipad as new, can everything that's on the IPad be restored from Itunes? If so, tell me how do that.

Dick

Hi Dick, Sorry we had some problem with the site. I'm really sorry for the inconvenience

No Dick. If you restore and setup it as new iPad, then everything will be erased. But if you have everything on your iTunes, like Musics, Videos, Apps etc then you can easily sync them back.

Also If've not synced your Contacts, Cals etc with your PC then they will be lost too. Can you try restoring and restore from backup ? That will replace the old system files with new one. Make backup before restoring.

Let me know what you think...

Best Regards,