John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience:  20+ years in the computer/Mac industry
60674955

My 14 year old daughter has an iPhone 4S, still running iOS

My 14 year old daughter has an iPhone 4S, still running iOS 5.1.
Her safari settings are set to accept cookies "from visited only", and browsing is not set to private. These settings have not been changed.
My question is, under "advanced website data", with the settings above, are all the sites that show in that list sites that she has actually visited or clicked on (considering cookies are set to "from visited only")?
This is a safety concern; I cannot seem to find a concrete answer despite perusing forensic and apple forum sites.
Thank you!
Hello! My name isXXXXX will work diligently to provide accurate advice and information.

The setting for Cookies applies to cookies ONLY and is independent of general website data, which may contain other content such as cached text, graphics, etc.

However, website data will include sites visited and those seen via pop-up windows (which may contain content stored on other sites but delivered via those visited).

Any site that you have interacted with in some way may be represented there but an entry would never show up from a site you had no interaction with...

If you continue to have questions on this topic, just reply back to this discussion. I will be more than happy to work with you further. Hopefully, this info will answer your question. If so please, please remember that when you are asked to give a rating, you are rating my personal service only and not this website itself or your issue.

Thanks and good luck,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi John, thanks for the prompt reply. I'll be sure to leave a glowing review. :-)Just to clarify, when you say "popup", do you mean any advertisement which could be shown on a certain (known, visited) site, whether it actually "pops up" or is a static advertisement?The reason I ask is because she's apparently visited a couple free porn sites, and while I do not intend to shame my kid for her curiosity, I do want to open a discussion with her...however some of the website data are for sites that are far beyond okay or which can be for adult hookups...and I definitely do not want some online skeevy guy trolling for teens to start a conversation; likewise webcam sites where interaction is involved. I'm sure you understand my concern; the entries don't seem like ads and when I tested it, they didn't get listed in my website data. I just need to know if she is actually clicking on what's listed for it to show.****also, in safari settings, popup blocker is on?Thank you again.
Hi Christian,On the mobile Safari browser a pop up generally opens a new browser window. There is no distinction between the user opening it or it being opened via visiting another site. The only certainty here is that it couldn't have appeared there on its own. I wouldn't want to guess your child's motivations but it could very well be a case of curiosity after seeing an advert or pop up. John
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks John.
I'd edited my reply to include that in safari settings, popups are blocked;
Does that make a difference? (Last reply from me!)
Thanks much,
Christian
It does but there is an exception. There is a different kind of pop-up that on a normal desktop computer would appear behind the current browser window. These do not work in the same manner as a normal pop up and so are not always blocked. These "pop under" windows are used by a number of sites but do seem more prevalent with porn/adult and warez sites.

If you have any further questions, feel free to ask.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks John. As a dad, this helps me direct the focus of our discussion.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but what I'm hearing is that basically, anything in the website data list has been clicked on/visited; but may have been presented to her via a site she was on already vs. her searching for it.

(Going by your first reply "website data will include sites visited and those seen via pop-up windows (which may contain content stored on other sites but delivered via those visited). Any site that you have interacted with in some way may be represented there but an entry would never show up from a site you had no interaction with...".)

Seems like I will not be able to tell for certain whether the entries are "valid" choices...but frankly it's enough to warrant a further look.

You've been much appreciated.
Best,
Christian

Yes, that's correct.

For example, I just skimmed through my own website data list and there is an entry for coca-cola.co.uk which I have obviously never visited BUT likely "saw" content (such as an ad) sourced from that address displayed on another site.