Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
19098653

my mac book pro 13 not run. it wait in the white screen whit

my mac book pro 13 not run. it wait in the white screen whit the grase apple.i try to go to model single and write :"/sbin/fsck -fy"and the last message i received is: /dev/rdisk0s2 (hfs) exited with signal 8.

Please HELP ME IS VERY URGENT
Hello, my name is Dan.
I will do my best to help you, the only stupid question is the unasked one.

That is telling you that the hard drive is full past its ability to function.
A fix is to install your OS X on an external hard drive larger than the internal drive (at least 200GB bigger). Then you can migrate from the full drive to the new, swap drives and it should be fine.
That is the short version, here are some details.
After installing and migrating repair permissions and repair the directories.
Then it should be just fine.
I recommend this utilty for the directories and file repair.
It is not cheap but it is cheaper than losing all your data.
Overall the cost of fixing this will be around $200.00, this includes the new hard drive, the DW software and this question.
This assumes you can swap the drive yourself, it isn't hard and this site will step you through how to do it.
Just indentify your Mac and follow it.

The reason it returns that error is it cannot write to the drive and it has to in order to perform the repais the fsck is trying to do.

Hope that helps.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Dan,

and would be possible to delete some files to have more free space? , For example from the mode-single?

I have not the mac installation cd did not come with the computer ....
where I could get one?

Carlos,

The problem with deleting files that way is knowing exactly what is being deleted.

Amazon is one place to look but first I would look around for people that have Macs.
If you have an Intel Mac many versions can be used, I suggest at least a retail copy of Snow Leopard.
You did not mention which version of OS X you have, matching it or newer is best.
A rule of OS X is it likes at least 10% of the drive to work, less than that it can lock up (this is your isue). What I have suggested is the best possible way to recover the data.
The next is a data recovery service, much more expensive.
A retail copy of most OS X disks will be costly, that is why I suggest borrowing one.
You may need another Mac depending on if yours wishes to cooperate.
That help?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dear XXXXX,
The MAC is of my girlfriend, i do not know what OS she has.
Do you think That you can tell me, how to delete a folder in the desktop is That?

It is not the best solution but I think that if more convenient.

This is a step by step 'how to'. Follow it very closely and check before commiting, once done there is no going back.

Take you time, syntax is very imortant.
Good luck.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK!

For example she has a bif folder named "musica" this folder is in the desktop...

i have so problems like for example she is not sure about the exactly name user.

so for delete this folder , i have write:

"rm -rf /users/xxx/Desktop/musica"

But i dont know what is the user name("xxx")

I am sorry Carlos but I do not have that info. She will have to tell you her short name, that will be the name that is beside the small house in the Finder window that you cannot see.
It should also be displayed just before the cursor in the Terminal window. Not always will it be but usually, like the example below.
graphic
Try that.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i am working in single mode...

i am doing well?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

and i have

:/ root#

The Unix Command Line: Single-User Mode

Terminal has abilities Single User mode does not. The above may help.
If you are using another Mac and have a firewire cable that can connect the two then it may become much easier.
Start her Mac in Target mode by restarting and holding down the letter T.
You will see this when successful.
graphic
Might be blue background.
Then plug the firewire between them, this mounts her drive as an external allowing (if it cooperates) access to everything.
graphic
Makes it much easier to do what you are trying.
Sorry I did not mention this sooner.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I dont have other mac

Well Carlos, you do absolutly need the user name and possibly the password XXXXX do this in Single mode.
Single Mode is tricky and since the GUI has become the realm of software engineers and writers.
It is very similar to DOS command line, I do not know how well you know that line of comunicating with a computer but I do know it has to be exact.

I have given all the options I can think of and the first one is still the most reliable.
That is the route I would take.
Thank you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Maybe i can insert the hdd of mac in my pc (W xp) like a external HDD i have a SATA-usb cable conecttion....

is that posible?

Sorry, I was away returning home.
It would be nice if that were possible but as far as I know it is not. It uses Firewire only and the two use different file structures, readability is very limited.
You can try it, nothing from nothing leaves nothing but may give something.
Let me know.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I done! i had acces at the hdd of mac by sata conecttion usb and 1 program for read MAC`s folders by Windows (macdriver).I could take the important folders.and i deleted some folders ,now there are 50GB free in the HDD of 300GB , I think that with this is enough.

now i have other problem , i cant run the mac jet ,but the message now when i do the "/sbin/fsck -fy"

disk0s2 : I/O error

Invalid node structure

(4,12625)

++rebuilding catalog B-tree

disk0s2 : I/O error

Invalid node structure

(4,12625)

Invalid node structure

(4,12626)

Invalid node structure

(4,12627)

.

.

.

.

.

.

"

That is good news. You still need a stronger utility than Disk Utility, it is limited. It does a good job as far as it can but it is at its limit.
If you are near an Apple store go get Disk Warrior or Alsoft Products Store Locator input your location in that site and it will tell you where to find it locally.

It really needs it to repair the node and file structure, Disk Utility is out of its depth, really.

Then boot from that DVD in the MacBook, it will then enable repairs. It really works, I use it a lot.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thnx.

I can use diskwarrior in windows for repair HDD of mac?

and diskwarrior is too expensive if with that i solucionate the problem will be fantasstic but if i dont it, i lost 50 €..

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

see

i have 1 mac (broken) and 1 pc with wondows xp....

How i can use diskwarrior for "rebuild" my HDD ?

Go to the site and read it, it will explain all about how to use it.
One boots from the DVD that Disk Warrior comes on, that gives you access to the internal hard drive that is having problems.
The fsck it not enough to repair it.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hello daniel,

Now i have other macbook,but i dont have the firewire cable, also i have diskwarrior.but when i connect the HDD of the first computer to second i ccant use diskwarrior because it say that the hdd not appear in the desktop.

directory cannot be rebuilt due to disk hardware failure (-36 2541)

That, as they say, is that. Hardware failure like this means, at worst, it is shot and all is lost or at beat the files are available with limited availability.

There is still a possibility of repairing with the bad one in Target connected via firewire and mounted as an external.
If your MBPs have thunderbolt in place of Firewire then you need a thunderbolt cable.

In any case the hard drive probably needs replacing.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
now is rebulding
Rebuilding dyrectory....

Step 5 : Locating directory data...

Speed reduced by disk malfunction :39

this is good ??

This is not good, it is working but, t means that the hard drive is failing and it might finish or might not. Hopefully it does. Then I strongly suggest replacing the hard drive, use an interface to migrate from this drive to the new one.

If you are handy with a jewelers screw driver you can do it your self.
If Apple does it they will keep the drive and your data.
This is a good place for the drive and interface.
This is the interface, inexpensive.
This will give you step by step instructions for replacing the drive.
It will be one of those 4.
Hope that helps.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
finally i have a new hdd
where i can take the OS? and how if by unternet how i can burn in a dvd with windows?
What do you mean 'take the OS'? Do you want to install the OS?
With the installation DVD that is easy, after the drive is installed or using the USB interface just boot from the DVD and select where to install. It will probably format the drive before installing, let it.

What DVD of Windows are you trying to burn?
One that Windows can read?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i meant i am a windows user, inwant to download Mac OS X ,and burn in a dvd for instal with that thne os in the mac.apple dont have a online OS? Because with the mac disnt came a dvd or usb or nathing like this

Ok, that makes sense. The newest version of OS X is downloaded online. It is actually an app that does the job. It can be downloaded and burned to a DVD but I do not think a Windows machine can do it.

You will need a Mac with at least Snow Leopard 10.6.8 running on it. This has the App Store where Mountain Lion is available from.
You can buy a USB drive from Apple that has ML on it or You may be able to use the recovery mode.
Restart and hold down the 'R' and the Command keys. This article explains it well.
Look that over and let me know if it helps.