Vinod Menon, Support Specialist
Experience:  worked as a Tech support Associate for Apple products
51110040

I have a 5-6 yr old iMac, but Im seeing beach balls more frequently

Customer Question

I have a 5-6 yr old iMac, but I'm seeing beach balls more frequently than I would like. Are there any programs out there that are economical and trustworthy in defragging, etc ? I see MacKeeper ads all the time, for instance.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Vinod Menon replied 3 years ago.

I am Vinod. I will try my best to help you resolve this issue.

What version of mac do you use? To find this, click on the apple logo at the top left corner, and then on "about this mac".

Thank You
Vinod
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
OSX 10.6.8

2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 DUO

2 GB 667 MHZ DDR2 SDRAM
Thank you, Philip

Mackeeper could cause you more worries than now and it is not recommended. I would suggest the normal troubleshooting methods.

1. Reset the PRAM and NVRAM
Shut down your Mac
Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R.
Turn on the computer.
Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears and before the chime sound.
Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for three times.
Release the keys.

If there is still no improvement, try the next step

2. Safe mode
Make sure that the computer is shut down. Press the power button. Immediately after you hear the startup tone, press and hold the Shift key. Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple and progress indicator. Once it is into the desktop, try a normal restart by pressing the apple logo at the top left and then on restart.

Let me know.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have a Logitech keyboard since my Apple board took an involuntary bath
Oh, I am not sure of the keys in a Logitech keyboard. Anyway, try with the following keys and let me know whether it works

Shut down your Mac
Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Windows, Alt, P, and R.
Turn on the computer.
Press and hold the Windows-Alt-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears and before the chime sound.
Release the keys.

2. Safe mode
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
OK. Cant risk doing it right now, but thanks for your help. I'll let you know what happens.
No problem, take your time and let me know