Jason Jones, Mac Technician
Experience:  Several years of supporting Mac systems.

My 6 year old 17" Macbook Pro has lost its click. Neither

My 6 year old 17" Macbook Pro has lost it's click. Neither the trackpad or a wired mouse will click on anything anywhere. The cursor is fine, but it won't scroll. Is this the end of the line?

Hello and thank you for your question today. My name is Jason. I look forward to helping you today.

It sounds like your built in touchpad may be stuck. When this happens, even when you plug in an external mouse, it will not work because the button is stuck or the pad is depressed too much.

You can fix it yourself if you wish. Keep in mind that it will require the use of some tools and should only be done if you feel comfortable doing so. Here is a video showing you how to do such:

You can also reset the NVRAM/PRAM & SMC. The instructions for doing such are found here: and here: