jstinehelfer
jstinehelfer, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  A+ Comptia Certified computer repair

I have a 4s iphone and can not get it to recognize any wifi

I have a 4s iphone and can not get it to recognize any wifi connection. I have done a complete restore, and still when I click on find wifi, the button stays a light gray and will not connect.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Frank
Category: Mac
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Welcome To JustAnswer!

My name isXXXXX am one of the Experts who will assist you today!

First, a quick note about the service here and how you and I will interact.

As long as you click the reply button, I will continue to work with you until we figure out the issue and resolve it. While it’s not always possible to achieve a positive solution in all situations, most of the time we can resolve the issue through active communication and patience.

To work towards resolving the issue, I may need to ask you for some further information; please respond as clearly as you can with as many details as you feel will help me to understand the issue.

Once I have gathered enough information I will send an answer. Please wait to fill out the survey or rate the answer until we have determined that it has solved your issue. Also, when / if we do resolve the issue please do not forget to rate the answer, as that’s the only way that I receive any credit for assisting you today.

That being said..

Was your wifi working previously on this phone, has it been this way since you purchased it new / used..

Also, can you check what version of IOS your running..

And when you did a complete restore on your phone.. Did it immediately reload your backup from itunes?

Or did y ou set it up as a new phone after you restored it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

My phone was purchased "factory unlocked" and for the past year has been used in Mexico. 4 days ago I changed carriers to ATT and that seems to be when the problem started.

IOS is 6.1.3

I set it up as a new phone after restoring. It works perfectly with 4g.

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for clarifying Frank....

Question.. Do you have a backup of your phone stored in itunes that was pre - At&T

its possible that when you switched to At&t.. It downloaded an update version of IOS 6...

So if you have a backup of your phone that was pre ATT.. we should try restoring the phone, then loading that backup.. And then seeing if your wifi suddenly starts working again..

if so, then its the pushedupdate from AT^T that caused the issue.

Let me know if you have a backup thats worth restoring based on the above.. Thanks Frank,

Dustin S.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dustin, I do not have a backup prior to ATT on my computer. At the same time I changed carriers to ATT I also purchased a iphone 5 which I backed up from my computer.

I don't know if this helps, but bluetooth will not connect either, maybe because of no wifi, however, I also attempted to connect bluetooth through 4g and it would not connect.

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Question.. Is the Iphone 5 working normally with AT&T ?

Wifi, bluetooth.. Etc ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No problem whatsoever. The iphone 5 started with a new sim card etc. where the 4s sim was removed and replaced with ATT sim.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
my problem was never solved.
Expert:  jstinehelfer replied 1 year ago.

Symptoms

In rare instances, the setting to turn on Wi-Fi on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch may appear "grayed out" or dim. If this occurs, you will not be able to turn Wi-Fi on. You may see the following:

• Settings > Wi-Fi (Wi-Fi setting dimmed):
  • Settings > General > About (Missing Wi-Fi address):

Resolution

Follow these steps to resolve the issue:

1. Verify that airplane mode is off by tapping Settings > Airplane Mode.
  2. Reset the network settings by tapping Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings.
    Note: This will reset all network settings, including Bluetooth pairing records, Wi-Fi passwords, VPN, and APN settings
  3. Ensure that your device is using the latest software. To do so, connect your device to your computer and check for updates in iTunes.
  4. If your issue is still unresolved, perform a software restore in iTunes.

Additional Information

If you are still unable to turn Wi-Fi on, please contact Apple for support and service options.

jstinehelfer, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: A+ Comptia Certified computer repair