Dustin, Mac Enthusiast
Experience:  4 Years in the US Military working with Mac's and networking equipment
19897260

I am trying to use iBooks author but one key function is disabled

Customer Question

I am trying to use iBooks author but one key function is disabled and none of the web support, forums appear to have the answer. Is this an Apple tech support question?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Welcome To JustAnswer!

My name is Dustin, And I am one of the Experts who will assist you today!

First, a quick note about the service here and how you and I will interact.

As long as you click the reply button, I will continue to work with you until we figure out the issue and resolve it. While it’s not always possible to achieve a positive solution in all situations, most of the time we can resolve the issue through active communication and patience.

To work towards resolving the issue, I may need to ask you for some further information; please respond as clearly as you can with as many details as you feel will help me to understand the issue.

Once I have gathered enough information I will send an answer. Please wait to fill out the survey or rate the answer until we have determined that it has solved your issue. Also, when / if we do resolve the issue please do not forget to rate the answer, as that’s the only way that I receive any credit for assisting you today.

That being said, lets get started!

The mac you have IBA ( ibooks author) installed on.. What version of mac operating system do you have..

10.6 10.7 10.8 , Snow leopard, Lion, mountain lion?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OSX 10.8.3 I think it's Mountain Lion tho' I don 't know where to check that. It's a new iMac if that helps
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
You are correct, Os 10.8 Is mountain Lion..

Ok, heres how to unistall Ibook author.

Close it if its open.. then click and hold down ibooks authors start icon, until it begins to jiggle.. Then click delete..

Then, go back to the mac app store and re download , and install it again..

Then test, does that help the issue at all Lesley?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, I'm afraid that makes no difference. I have entered bookmarks for pages 1-7 on an earlier occasion and could edit these bookmarks if needed but the ability to do more is now blocked. Page text is in headers and text boxes but both Apple and iBooks for dummies suggest that this makes no difference . . .
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Question.. Is it only on one specific book, that you cant enter bookmarks?

if you start a new book / project, will it allow them ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Don't know. Will try another
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, that will help clarify the issue..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for delay. I had to move a file from another computer. What this exercise has shown me is that the problem is linked to the use of text boxes. In the test file, I can create a bookmark in text in a placeholder but not with text in a text box. This creates quite a problem as my current book is written entirely in text boxes. Where there is also a placeholder, I can delete the text box, paste the text, and add a bookmark. But I have pages that, once the text box is deleted, have no placeholder into which to re- copy the text. Can I insert a bookmark into text boxes? Can I recreate a placeholder? The help details say not to use headers but that other text boxes require you just to highlight the text.
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
You must be using a custom template, and not any of the apple provided templates, is that correct?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If by inserting text boxes this becomes a custom template then I suppose so
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Correct..

Do you need to link to a specific word with the plain text boxes you added? Or would linking to one of the edges or top ,middle or bottom of the box be good enough?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, I just need to work it so that I can use hyperlinks to connect the index to the pages.
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Got you...

Do you have space at the top corners of your pages, where we could add an image?

If so, you could add a figure (i.e., images) to each page.. move it to the top left or top right corner..

Then go to Widget Pane -> Layout and set its type to Figure; provide an identifying title as well. ( for title, consider page 1, page 2, page 3 , that way you will be able to easily identify what pages / images your linking to) Now you'll be able to link to that page by enabling text in your index as a hyperlink and selecting Link to: Figure. Finally, select the figure to link to; your newly-placed image will appear in a list on the Link Pane.

If you dont want to see the images, you can make them invisible using opacity. You'll need to make the image and the caption text invisible separately.

Thats a long winded workaround..But since all your writing is in text boxes, and since IBA wont allow you to link directly into a text box,this is what you will have to do...

if you get stuck or have any questions, please let me know and i will continue to assist you.

::Reminder:: Please use the “reply” button to continue the conversation. You are only required to rate when you feel I have assisted you, also please wait to fill out the survey until we have achieved a solution. When rating, please use the the top three faces ( Ok to Excellent). If you feel the need to rate my service with the bottom two faces, please take a moment and send me a reply first so that I can understand how to better assist you. I work to assist you based on good faith, and only receive credit for helping you when you choose to rate with the top three faces. I receive no credit from lower ratings and they reflect very poorly upon me.

Thank you~

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you but that would be terribly slow and cumbersome and to be honest, it would be quicker to input the text again into an Apple template. I am presently saving text, deleting the text box and copying it to a new placeholder in order to insert the necessary bookmark and I'm already on page 45.
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Understood Lesley... And I agree that it would be terribly slow and cumbersome, I just wanted to provide a method that would achieve what you wanted assuming that you were tied to formatting your book the way you had been..

If theres anything else I can help you with, let me know.

Dustin S.