Dustin, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Over a decade putting the missing byte back into Apple. Also worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller

Cant boot mac. Have black screen with localhost:/ root# Nothing

Can't boot mac. Have black screen with localhost:/ root#

Nothing seems to work. Advice please
Welcome To JustAnswer!

My name isXXXXX am one of the Experts who will assist you today!

First, a quick note about the service here and how you and I will interact.

As long as you click the reply button, I will continue to work with you until we figure out the issue and resolve it. While it’s not always possible to achieve a positive solution in all situations, most of the time we can resolve the issue through active communication and patience.

To work towards resolving the issue, I may need to ask you for some further information; please respond as clearly as you can with as many details as you feel will help me to understand the issue.

Once I have gathered enough information I will send an answer. Please wait to fill out the survey or rate the answer until we have determined that it has solved your issue. Also, when / if we do resolve the issue please do not forget to rate the answer, as that’s the only way that I receive any credit for assisting you today.

That being said.. Lets get started..

What type of mac do you have, a Macbook air, Pro, Imac, etc...

Also,how old is the mac and when did you first notice this issue happening?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Imac, G5 17, we bought it second hand in 2009 and it has been functioning well until yesterday or day before

Thanks Stuart. ( and my apologies for the delay, your reply just now showed in my inbox)

When you see localhost on screen.. Is it a blackscreen with white text on it?

Are you able to type at all?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes to both. have tried some commands such as exit and drutil, but nothing helps in restoring the computer

have you tried a pram reset ?

1. Shut down your Mac.
  2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command (⌘), Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
  3. Turn on the computer.
  4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys before the gray screen appears.
  5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
  6. Release the keys.

Also, have you tried a SMU reset..

1. Turn off the computer by choosing Shut Down from the Apple menu, or by holding the power button until the computer turns off.
  2. Unplug all cables from the computer, including the power cord.
  3. Wait 10 seconds.
  4. Plug in the power cord while simultaneously pressing and holding the power button on the back of the computer.
  5. Let go of the power button.
  6. Press the power button once more to start up your iMac.

If not, then please both and let me know if anything changes or not...

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Have tried both these, the first one before I contacted you. Have now tried the second with no success or difference. I havent' mentioned yet that there is a startup disk in the drive. Thus far I have been unable to eject it.

none of the normal eject steps have worked for you?

Question, did this issue occur before, or after you inserted the startup disk?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Background is this: I was having trouble with my computer crashing with increasing regularity. I thought a re-install may help. It worked, at first, but when I attempted to update, they whole thing fell apart.

I held the option key when starting up, but it showed my a screed with a restart arrow, a continue arrow and a picture of the harddrive with an x on the bottom.

If you hold down just the T key when starting the mac.. Do you see a different icon?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

nothing at all. held down T key but screen remained blank and fan overclocked.

That tells us that the hard drive has faulted , or fatally corrupted...

I believe that replacing the hard drive is your best bet... And since you have a OSX install disk, you should be back in business after replacing thehard drive

One last thing we should try for good measure, is to remove the CD drive from the imac..

The page below walks us through the process.

try top power up without the cd drive.. if it doesnt change anything..Replacing the hard drive is your best bet

The drive below ships with a one year warranty..

if you have any further questions Stuart, please let me know.