Dustin, Mac Enthusiast
Experience:  4 Years in the US Military working with Mac's and networking equipment
19897260

MY I PHONE 5 WILL ONLY SEND MMS AND PICTURE TEXTS TO CERTAIN

Customer Question

MY I PHONE 5 WILL ONLY SEND MMS AND PICTURE TEXTS TO CERTAIN PEOPLE IVE HAD THE PHONE INTO APPLE STORE THEY SAY THE PHONE IS FINE SO I TOOK IT TO THE VFONE STORE THEY CHANGED THE SIM AND PLAYED AROUND WITH IT FOR HALF AN HOUR GOT IT TO SEND 1 MMS MESSAGES I LEFT THE STORE REJOYCING GOT BACK HOME 9MILES AWAY SAME OLD STORY RED FAILURE NOTICE ON MMS SENDS TEXTS AND E MAILS NO PROBS BUT WONT SEND MMS ON THREE G OR WIFI
Category: Mac
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Welcome To JustAnswer!

My name isXXXXX am one of the Experts who will assist you today!

First, a quick note about the service here and how you and I will interact.

As long as you click the reply button, I will continue to work with you until we figure out the issue and resolve it. While it’s not always possible to achieve a positive solution in all situations, most of the time we can resolve the issue through active communication and patience.

To work towards resolving the issue, I may need to ask you for some further information; please respond as clearly as you can with as many details as you feel will help me to understand the issue.

Once I have gathered enough information I will send an answer. Please wait to fill out the survey or rate the answer until we have determined that it has solved your issue. Also, when / if we do resolve the issue please do not forget to rate the answer, as that’s the only way that I receive any credit for assisting you today.

That being said, lets get started!

My first question is, was the Iphone sending messages correctly when you very first received it?

Or has it always had an issue sending MMS messages?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

text messages yes but when i came to send mms messages no i just got a failure message come up but then i tried sending a MMS message last month to my new boss and he recieved it fine but he and one other so far will get and MMS from this phone

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
What type of files, pictures, or videos is it that your adding when you try to send your MMS messages?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Just pictures no videos

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Thanks...

Theres something simple I would like to try, that will help us identify if the issue is with the phone itself, or with the MMS settings on the phone that are being used by your Cell service provider.

Lets try this simple step first, if it doesnt work.. Dont worry, just send me a reply and you and i will continue working at the issue.

On your phone, go to settings, general, reset, reset network settings..

Let that process complete.. Then wait about 4 minutes.

then compose a new MMS message with one picture and try to send it.. What happens now? Will it send, or do you get the same error as before?

::Reminder:: Please use the “reply” button to continue the conversation. You are only required to rate when you feel I have assisted you, also please wait to fill out the survey until we have achieved a solution. When rating, please use the the top three faces ( Ok to Excellent). If you feel the need to rate my service with the bottom two faces, please take a moment and send me a reply first so that I can understand how to better assist you. I work to assist you based on good faith, and only receive credit for helping you when you choose to rate with the top three faces. I receive no credit from lower ratings and they reflect very poorly upon me.

Thank you~

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

same as before im afraid NOT DELIVERED in red, just to fill you in what i did this morning i sent a mms with i message and wifi on to my boss he got it no problem sent the same picture to another person it failed both are using i phone 5s one my boss in on EE the other is on VF dont know if this has any bearing

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Thanks..

Can you next make sure that we have wifi turned off on the phone, and then try to send a new message again..

if that doesnt help,please check over these steps and see if they help.

1. Make sure that Messages is tuned on (Settings > Messages > iMessage).
  2. Tap Settings > Messages and turn iMessage off and back on again.
  3. Make sure that your Apple ID or phone number is XXXXX in Settings > Messages > Send & Receive.
  4. Restart your device by pressing and holding the Sleep/Wake button, then toggle the “slide to power off” slide. To turn the device back on, press and hold the Sleep/Wake button until the Apple logo appears.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

done still no joy

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Was messages already turned on?

did we turn i message off and on again..

If so.. May I ask what phone carrier your using?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

affirm messages on

affirm i messages off then on again

my carrier is VODAFONE UK

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Thanks..

We have to assume that vodaphone has entered the wrong MMS settings..

Please read through the first post on this page.. And lets follow through the steps to try and correct the issue this way

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4617369?start=0&tstart=0

We need to complete the procedure outlined in the first post so please let me know if you get stuck at any point, or if anything looks different then what is outlined.. Especially, any of this

mobile data

apn - wap.vodafone.co.uk

MMS

apn - wap.vodafone.co.uk

MMSC - http://mms.vodafone.co.uk/servlets/mms

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

All looked the same i delted ASTRIX AS REQUIRED one was in words WAPthe other was dots in both boxes the lower of the two boxes returned to dots as i typed wap in there i deleted MMS size and sent a tex with picture attached FAILED came up this time not failed to deliver i can live without MMS to be honest allthough my previous phones from blackberrys to nokias i had no issues with using Vodafone as the carrier the problems have only arisen since ive had the i phone

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
When you got the phone was it brand new,or had it been resgistered to a different person or carrier besides Voda?

Also, if you check here,

Tap Settings > General > Cellular. could you try turning cellular data off, then on.

Waiting, and then mms' again.. If it still says only, failed..

then reset network settings one more time..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

the phone was brand new direct from apple i myself resgistered it to voda UK after requesting and recieving a nano sim card in the post the sim has since been replaced by voda at there store in a effort to get the fault re MMSsending rectified, i have no CELLULAR TAB in genaral settings

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. One more thing

if you Tap Settings > General > About ,

Does it ask you to update?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No it dosent, do you suspect a hand set problem ie software or a carrier problem ?

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
I suspect a carrier MMS setting issue... Do you know anyone nearby who has a working iphone 5 who is also using Vodaphone ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No but it is an issue with lots of people who use i phone 5s i was talking to someone one line this morning who is having the same problems and they use voda but voda wont addmit there is an issue they blame apple so its a problem we will have to put up with i guess, unless i ditch this £700 hand set and go back to blackberry or nokia

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Its not an issue with the Iphone 5.. It works just fine with nearly all other carriers..

And when it doesnt work, its almost always an incorrect settings issue, from when the carrier pushed the update to the phone...

We may be able to hash out thesettings issue.. May I ask if your in the UK, or AU ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

uk

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Thanks..

Are you on a monthly or a pay as you go plan?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

monthly contract

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
I know this is probably getting tedious.. But can you run through these exact and entire steps one more time...
Click here

Please make sure that everything is an exact match...

Thank you..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

done all seems ok apart from i havent got a network tag in mobile data settings

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, have you restarted the phone..Then made sure that

• Press Settings.
  • Press Messages.
  • MMS messaging is set to on?

And still, we cant send a small picture file by mms?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The bar travels rapidly across till nearly at the end then freezes then i get not delivered or failed

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
To be certain.

Wifi is off.

Mobile network data is on

MMS is on

and your not trying to send two pictures at once.. Or a very large picture.. Or a video..

Your just sending a picture that was taken with the iphone.. And it wont go out..?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes wifi off, mobile network data on , MMS is on . i just have to pop out for about half an hour cant aviod it is it ok to continue when i get back please

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Yes.. Its perfectly fine to continue when you return.. And my stomach is quite happy you said so!

Its time I grab some breakfast so if I dont reply immediately when you do return, my apologies but It should be shortly there-abouts when i return from breakfast..

Dustin S.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok dustin enjoy, oh by the way im david .

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Nice to meet your David, and my apologies that we havent found a magic bullet yet to fix this issue...

( not trying to spam message you, its company policy that I send the last reply as long as I am signed into work.. Also, this will give you a box to reply to upon your return.)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

im back sorry it took so long, traffic!

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Just seen your reply...

Lets try something simple.. Please download and install the free version of BiteSMS..

And then use it to try and send pictures..

http://bitesms.com/

Let me know how this pans out for you.

Dustin S.
Dustin, Mac Enthusiast
Experience: 4 Years in the US Military working with Mac's and networking equipment
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi dustin im downloading now will let you know , thanks for getting back pal

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i tried and tried to get it to work couldn't manage it I'm not that switched on i guess i would really like vodafone to sort this as it is clearly an issue judging by all the bloggs here in the uk of people with the iPhone 5 who can't send MMS or texts with an attachment theres a lot of unhappy people out there who are accusing vodafone of burying there heads in the sand and pretending theres no issues even when you contact there help line online they seem to be completely surprised you have contacted them with this issue but again looking at the on line complaints about this issue and i phones and vodafone they MUST be aware theres a problem

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi dustin

yes i did rate you and gave you a tip as you suspected voda was and are at fault they have finally admitted they have a problem with one of there masts in the area it all came to light when some folks lost the signal completely ,i can now send MMS to other i phones so sort of a result we will see what happens when voda sort the mast out