Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

I cant open any attachments in received emails in Entourag

Customer Question

I cant open any attachments in received emails in Entourage
Category: Mac
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Welcome To JustAnswer!

My name is Dustin, And I am one of the Experts who will assist you today!

The attachments your trying to open... Are you able to download them to your mac?

If so, what types of files are the attachments?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Any/All files - I can't download I get an error message every time

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for replying Lorraine.

First, a quick note about the service here and how you and I will interact.

As long as you click the reply button, I will continue to work with you until we figure out the issue and resolve it. While it’s not always possible to achieve a positive solution in all situations, most of the time we can resolve the issue through active communication and patience.

To work towards resolving the issue, I may need to ask you for some further information; please respond as clearly as you can with as many details as you feel will help me to understand the issue.

Once I have gathered enough information I will send an answer. Please wait to fill out the survey or rate the answer until we have determined that it has solved your issue. Also, when / if we do resolve the issue please do not forget to rate the answer, as that’s the only way that I receive any credit for assisting you today.

That being said :) , What version of mac osx do you have on your macbook? 10.6, 10.7 10.8 , and if your not sure please say so, and I will help you find out.

How long ago did entourage stop working correctly for you?

Also, how many email accounts do you have connected to Entourage?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

10.8

E has never allowed me to open pdf or word docs

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Lorraine, for now lets focus on just PDF attachments..

can you try to use entourage, and create a message and send it to yourself, attach any pdf file to the message... Then send it.. when your inbox refreshes, it should show the message you sent to yourself.

What exact error message ( word for word ) do you get when you try to download the PDF file with entourage..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Just tried to open a doc from my insurance company with a pdf file attached Error-

there was an error opening this document. The file is damaged and could not be repaired.

I know that message is bogus because i can go into gmail and open it and I can also use the email software that came with the Mac and it opens

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

There was an error opening up this message. The file is damaged and could not be repaired.

But if I open with google or the emial software I received with the mac I can open the doc

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for that extra info Lorraine, you answered my next questions without me having to ask..

Ok, so this is definitely just entourage and we can focus on it directly.

Can you try clicking on the pdf file, and then dragging it to your desktop.. Will entourage allow that?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It won't let me drag it and I've tried to save it and then re-open and it gives me the same error

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no it wont allow me to

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Lets try this as next..

Select any working PDF file, then Press COMMAND-I to open the Get Info window. In the Open with section select the adobe reader app from the drop down menu. If it's not listed then select Other to navigate to the desired app and select it. Then click on the Change All button.

Once thats done, close entourage and reopen it. Then send yourself a known working PDF file through entourage, and then see if entourage can open it.

let me know what happens, thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

didn't work

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Havent heard back? I have to head out i'll b back at 2:25 est or should I assume you can't resolve this?

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Thaks for replying Lorraine, and my apologies for the delay in getting back to you.. I left for lunch about five minutes before your response came in, and Ive just returned.

When you get back, please let me know if you were able to follow the steps including clicking command I, and setting the pdf files to open via adobe...

We will work on the next repair steps when you return.. Thanks,

Dustin S.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I followed all of your suggestions with I command and nothing worked?

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
When you have the time.. Lets try rebuilding the database for good measure..

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/268322

And when thats complete.. Start Entourage, and then click help / about / check for updates.. if theres any updates for entourage allow the mac to download and then install them.

Then try opening a pdf with entourage again... If it still wont open, do you get the same message?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

That a little too technical for me - I think I'll stop here. I do appreciate your help - but I want to ensure that I won't be charged.

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Understood Lorraine,

Right after sending this message, I will contact customer service to have them refund any authorizations made against your card..

if you change your mind and would like to continue, ill be happy to assist you.