Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
19098653

Good afternoon. My Brother HL3070 wifi printer is no longer

Customer Question

Good afternoon.

My Brother HL3070 wifi printer is no longer connected to the wifi here at my home.

A bit of background info. I have two Macbooks and a PC which connect to the net by wifi through an Apple Time Capsule backup and wifi device.

The Macs disconnected themselves mysteriously over the last couple of days, but equally mysteriously re-connected themselves while I was on the phone to (first) my ISP and (then) Apple support. The Apple guy has opened a ticket in case this happens again.

The computers are now connected to the wifi again so they are not the problem, but their disconnection may be relevant. Can you please help me to get the Brother printer working again on wifi?

Thank you.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Russell H. replied 3 years ago.
I am interested in your clearly explained account of the circumstances of your question.

Obviously there was 'something' that disrupted networking communications in your local network.

Have you any means of determining what the base address of your Apple Time Capsule wifi device is? and the IP address of the computer you are trying to print from?

(If not, I will suggest some means of determining those two addresses.)

Does your printer have any assigned IP address in your computer's configuration to print to it?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi. I'll get that info now. Back soon.

That is OK - there is no hurry to get back to me.

Thanks.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello again. I sent you a bunch of IP info a few minutes ago using the Reply To Expert box but it's not in this list of q and a. Did you get it?

I am sorry - I did not receive it. Please try again - and of course, be sure to keep a copy in some way so as not to have to do the task over again yet another time, I advise.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I sent you the info by email this time. Hope you got it?

I think you have to Reply with the info, not send it by email.

Please contact Customer Support if you have any further doubt or difficulty about how to make the site work. Customer Support may be contacted through
http://ww2.justanswer.com/help

And you could also place the info in a Notepad file... then post it to
http://www.wikisend.com
and then Reply to me with the file posting URL or the file posting #.

Thanks... in case some other Expert could help you further with this for the next few hours (during which I will be offline), I am Opting Out... I will be able to take up the case some hours from now, if another Expert does not.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK. Bye

Bye for now... please get that info into the case somehow, meanwhile, at your convenience. Whether for my use or another Experts', it will be needed. Thanks.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK here goes.

The Time Capsule has these IDs written in incredibly small print on the bottom (so I think the Zeroes are not capital Os)

Airport IDs
2.4GHz: 20 C9 D0 1C D6 57
5.0 GHz: same except for the last digit, which is 8

The MAC address is 14:10:9f:e1:a7:97

The printer IP address is " 10.0.1.7 (set manually) "

I can't find anything in the Mac indicating a wifi connection with the printer.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

P.S It looks like the printer is ready to receive. There is a very small display on the printer front panel on which one can bring up successive headings then go into them. I found one called Network, which led to various options. The WLAN Status option reads "active (11g)"

Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
Hello, my name is Dan.
I will do my best to help you, the only stupid question is the unasked one.

It would seem that the printer is 'seeing' the network. Now the computers need to see the printer.
I suggest starting by resetting the TC (Time Capsule) by unplugging it for about 10seconds.
Plug it back in and wait for the green light. This clears out the cache and cobwebs.

The Macs probably need so TLC, this PDF explains some of that.

Basic Maintenance

This explains Permissions.

Repairing Permissions

Then, should they still have issues with connecting to the TC create a new network location.

New Location 10.5-10.6

That also applies to 10.7-10.8.

This will reset the print system.

Print system

Now if all goes as it should it will all work again.

Let me know please.