Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

Im have mac powerpc 10.4.11 tiger operating system. My computer

Customer Question

I'm have mac powerpc 10.4.11 tiger operating system. My computer is old. I'm using itunes 9.2.1. My ipod shows up but it says to restore when I click restore it says the ipod software update server could not be contacted. I deleted itunes and then reinstalled it and that didn't work. How knows if I deleted it properly either. I really don't want to buy a new computer right now. My ipod was working fine for a while on here but it wiped out all of my playlists on my ipod. But the playlists are still on my itunes which I don't want to lose.
Please help!
Category: Mac
Expert:  Vinod Menon replied 1 year ago.

I am Vinod. I will try my best to help you resolve this issue.

Is there any firewall turned on in your computer? Or is there any firewall type software installed in your computer such as "Netbarrier"?

Thank You
Vinod
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I had norton but I deleted it. At least I though I did. How do I check to see if I have a firewall turned on? I don't know how to check that.

If you go to system preferences, click on the "View" menu and click on "security".

Select the "firewall" tab.

If it does not say that the firewall is off, click on the stop button to turn it off.

Let's see whether this resolves your issue.

I have gone through some discussion forums and they say this error can be due to the "Intego netbarrier" software and turning it off could resolve the issue. Check this out

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2026318?start=0&tstart=0
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok there are no choices on the security tab for firewall. I can't find it. The only choices are-

turn on file vault or set master password.

There are also tabs on virtual memory?

Or log in?

Its weird there is nothing about a firewall.

My firewall is under the sharing section and it is not turned on either but network time is checked off?

I am sorry. If the firewall is not turned on, then it could be because of any antivirus or any other security software causing the issue.

Since you have already deleted Norton, it would require someone to look into your computer for the other possible security software installed.

Since I am not sure, I would opt out so that a different expert might be able to troubleshoot it further.

You would receive an email notification once another expert replies.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes can you have someone else help me then? I am going to bed and will have to continue this conversation with someone else then tomorrow.

I have opted out, so the other experts would be able to see that your question is not solved yet.

If anyone knows an answer, they would respond to you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
He didn't know how to solve my problem.
Can someone else help me?
I am going to bed its late
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
When you are ready please do this:

Go to Applications / Utilities. When that opens double click on the application called Disk Utility. When Disk Utility opens you will see your hard drive (usually Macintosh HD) on the left. Highlight your hard drive and click on Verify Disk on the far right. If that is OK in green type, then click on Repair Permissions on the left.

Note: If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair. If Repair is successful then Repair Permissions if it is not successful let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a few hard drives attached to this computer . Im verifying the hard drive with my itunes on it.
I verified disc permission then I verified disc then I repaired disc permission . It asks for my password XXXXX then it says the volume needs repair but then then it says it stopped verifying. It says underlying failure on edit? I can't repair it.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Ok Verify Disk on any other drives then:

Put the current operating system disk in (the disk that came with your computer unless you have upgraded, in that case use the new system disk) and restart holding down the letter C key until you see the Apple logo. Choose your language then you get to the install screen DO NOT INSTALL, you will see at the top of the screen a Utilities menu drop down. Go the Disk Utility, Highlight your hard drive (usually Macintosh HD) and click on Verify Disk on the right. If that is OK and only if that is OK click on Repair Permissions. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair. If Repair is successful then Repair Permissions if it is not successful let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have 2 internal hard drives. One that originally came with my computer. It got filled up so I installed a 2nd internal hardrive that I know have my applications on including itunes. I also have an external usb drive remotely attached.

Ok I have 1 software install disc

4 software install discs which are labeled 1 of 4

I then have the current mac osx tiger version 10.4, do you mean this one? The other ones are older versions.

I also have an apple hardware test disc too.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Yes use the Tiger disk. You can Verify Disk on the others after you have tried to repair your system drive using the disk.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi the other discs were verified and they didn't need repair.

Ok I got it.

I have to go to work now so I'll have to try this tonight or tomorrow. I'll let you know what happens

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Ok that is a serious error so don't use the computer until we can fix that.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok mike, I'll be back later
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Ok I will be out from about 2:30 pm until later in the evening CT USA.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I restarted it off the tiger cd and held down the letter "c" till the apple came up and it didn't boot off the cd. Are u sure u just hold down the c key? It booted up normally. I did this 2 times
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Yes I had to cancel my appt so I'm here. Are you sure it is a Retail CD? What color is the label?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes it's black with an"X". I put the disc in and I was able to restart it from the disc without pressing c. i went into the cd and restarted it off of the cd.it's now repairing disc. Let me see if this works. There are 2 hard drives for the same HD name.Meaning one is called creative possessions and the other is 279.5 GB WDC WD3000J etc. for the same hard drive "creative possessions". I hope I'm making sense. Ok it finished repairing. It says "1 HFS volume completed" is there more?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You didn't have to cancel appt. I just saw that u said you'd be out till tonight. U can always answer me when your done or tomorrow. It repaired it. I'll try to turn my computer back on normally and see if the iTunes recognizes my ipod
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
OK no I had to cancel for other reasons but I appreciate it. Ok let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It repaired it it. What do I do now should I restart without the cd?
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Yes if you repaired the disk and then Repaired Permissions
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
You might also try this if that did not work:

Try resetting the PRAM.

1. Shut down the computer.
2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need them in step 4.
3. Turn on the computer.
4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys before the gray screen appears.
5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts.
6. Release the keys.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So far the disc problem didn't help. It still has that message that I gave you in the beginning and can't restore my ipod.

I'll try the PRAM.

I'm thinking this computer is a bomb now.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Try this:

Force restore iPod
1. Hold down the home button and power button at the same time. This will force the screen to fade and the Apple Logo to reappear. KEEP holding the two buttons down until the iPod shuts off.

2. Once the iPod is off plug one end of the usb cable into the PC .

3. Open iTunes

4. While holding down the Home button plug the cable into the iPod.
Contunue holding the home button until the you the itunes logo and the picture of the cable on the iPod screen. This may take up to 30 seconds.

5. iTunes should now detect the iPod and you can
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My computer is stuck on apple screen after pram now what??
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hold the power button for about 10 seconds then start it again and hold the Option key until you see a list of startup partitions choose Macintosh HD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I think I tried this with my ipod but I don't know if I did it right. What's the home button and power button. I have the ipod classic with the big wheel in the center. I restarted my computer in safemode and then restarted it and it was ok. thank god. whats a cable on the ipod screen?

Thanks

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
You may have to reinstall your system not sure how long your drive was bad. Sorry here is how to force restart all models:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1320?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

please just tell me where the home and power button is on my ipod?

So if this doesn't work I have to reinstall my system? Won't that wipe everything out on my computer.

I just buy a new one this computer is a G4 powerpc.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Well if you have the money yes that would be my suggestion:

1. Toggle the Hold switch on and off. (Slide it to Hold, then turn it off again.)

2. Press and hold the Menu and Center (Select) buttons simultaneously until the Apple logo appears, about 6 to 8 seconds. You may need to repeat this step.

You can Archive and install

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

so the home button is the menu button and the power button is the center button? I know what the toggle switch is. I just want to know so that when I try doing what you said when I connect the itunes I know which button to not let go of.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Just let go of all of them sorry.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Mike I'm going to try this action with the ipod in a few days. I have a hairy week I'm in school for my doctorate degree and have finals this week and don't have time to breathe btw work and school so I may not get back to you on this for a few days. Don't think that I forgot about this. I just have to focus on my school this week. Thanks

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
No problem let me know. The question will time out but you can still get back to me.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

when does the question time out because the question hasn't been solved yet. I'm not going to pay for the question if its not solved. I thought this would get solved quickly. I appreciate your help but I don't have a lot of time this week to be dealing with my computer. Its time consuming and I work and school. I will try the ipod thing this week holding the keys down.

I'll get back to you.

Thanks

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
That just means I won't be able to reply to you. You can always come back at any time you do not have to Accept or Rate unless you are satisfied. Please don't Rate at all if you can't rate at OK or higher. I can request a refund.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Mike please give me a refund. the ipod is still not showing up in itunes.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
OK probably time for a new one. Sorry.