John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience:  20+ years in the computer/Mac industry

I have a mac, although I have lots of music & movies on the

I have a mac, although I have lots of music & movies on the computer, I believe I have a lot of duplication somewhere as my 250gb memory is practically full up, I have different versions of songs that I know itunes has something in which it can delete & clean those up, I am talking about in the actual computer and not itunes, how can I clean up my mac
Hello! My name isXXXXX will work diligently to provide accurate advice and information.

Can you tell me what version of OS X you are currently running?

Click the Apple Logo in the menubar at the top of the screen

Select "About This Mac"

In the window that opens, look for the "Version" information. Please let me know what it says.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks. And do you know what version of iTunes you have installed?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

That would be the version of iOS installed on an Apple mobile device and not the version of iTunes on your Mac.

Open iTunes

Click iTunes in the menu bar and choose "About iTunes" and the version number should scroll up from the bottom.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

osx version 10.8.3

Open iTunes

Click iTunes in the menu bar and choose "About iTunes" and the version number should scroll up from the bottom.What does it list, please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

11.0.2 (25)

iTunes 11.0.2 has a feature that will show you the duplicates of songs in your library. You must manually make the deletions yourself however.

*Note: This is based on song title/artist. It may show you songs that appear similar based on title but are actually different versions or songs.

Open iTunes

Switch to "Songs" view.

In the menu bar at the top of the screen, click the View menu.

Click the option to "Show Duplicate Items"

Select the tracks you wish to delete (you can choose multiple tracks at once by holding down the Command key as you click)

Then Control-click, or right-click, on your selection and choose Delete (you will be prompted twice two delete - once from the library and once from your hard drive and you must affirm both actions to remove content from the drive and free up space).

When you are done, Quit iTunes and then Empty the Trash in your Dock.

Keep in mind that songs themselves do not take up a lot of space. If you are running into space issues on a drive of that size it may be videos that are your main problem. If you need help with these or in the deletion of other items, please let me know.

If you continue to have questions on this topic, just reply back to this discussion. I will be more than happy to work with you further. Hopefully, this info will answer your question. If so please, please remember that when you are asked to give a rating, you are rating my personal service only and not this website itself or your issue.

Thanks and good luck,