John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience:  20+ years in the computer/Mac industry

My son lost his ipod touch. Can you suggest anyways to track

Customer Question

My son lost his ipod touch. Can you suggest anyways to track this. I do not know if it backed up to a icloud.
Category: Mac
Expert:  John T. F. replied 3 years ago.
Hello! My name is John, I will work diligently to provide accurate advice and information.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Apple does have the "Find My iPhone/iPod/iPad” feature available for iCloud users BUT the key fact is that you must have registered the device for this service at some point prior to losing it.

However, if you've ever registered the device with iCloud, it's possible this was enabled for you. You can sign in to the following site to see if the device is registered.

Note: You would sign in with the Apple ID used for iCloud or to make Store purchases.

If your device is registered there and is connected to a wifi network, you can send it messages, track it's location and remotely wipe your personal data off the drive.

If you are running iOS 6 or later you will also have access to Lost mode. While in Lost mode, your device will keep track of where it’s been and report back to you any time you check in with the Find My iPhone app.

Other tips:

If you believe the device was stolen, the person who has it now can erase the device on a computer and you would no longer be able to track it so you may wish to try and get in contact with the Police Dept. File a Police Report for the device. Call the non-emergency number of the police department with jurisdiction over the area in which the iPad theft occurred. They will direct you to another law enforcement agency, if necessary.

The police will ask you questions about the theft, in order to file a police report for your iPod. Give as many important details about the iPad to the police as you can, including the stolen iPad serial number, which may help them them apprehend the person responsible and recover your stolen device.

Also, Report your stolen device to an online site like Sites like this are used by pawn shops and others to track stolen property that comes into their business.

If you continue to have questions on this topic, just reply back to this discussion. I will be more than happy to work with you further. Hopefully, this info will answer your question. If so please, please remember that when you are asked to give a rating, you are rating my personal service only and not this website itself or your issue.

Thanks and good luck,