Nick H.
Nick H., Mac Specialist
Experience:  Macbook, Macbook Pro, Macbook Air, Mac Pro G5.
63271161

I sent a pdf file from my PC to iPad (email to myself) so that

I sent a pdf file from my PC to iPad (email to myself) so that I could open it with pdf expert...when I try, nothing happens. What do I need to do? Thanks - Tony
Hi Tony and welcomed to JustAnswer.com.

My name isXXXXX will assist you with your issues.

Please open the email and tap the PDF file. Do you see the open or Download option?
Tony,

Make sure your ipad has Adobe reader or an PDF reader app. If not, please go to Appstore and search/download Adobe Reader app. Go back to your Email. Tap the PDF file and select Adobe Reader to open the file.

Please let me know if this answer will work out. If does not work or you have any questions/concerns, do not rate yet! Click on Reply to Expert to reply so we can continue to work on this issue. Thank you!

Nick

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, it opens with Adobe but I don't get the option to open with pdf expert (an app which I last used a few weeks ago).

Thanks for your update Tony.

The app might be not working properly. We can try to delete PDF Expert app and download it back.

First, tap and HOLD PDF Expert app on your ipad for 2-3 seconds. When the icons shake, tap the small x on PDF Expert. Select Delete. Confirm delete. Then go back to Appstore and download it back. Try to open the PDF on your email again. See if that worked out with PDF Expert app or not.

If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service. Thank you!

Nick

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry, no change.

Thanks Tony. So Adobe Reader will work but not PDF Expert?

You can try to reset your ipad as follow:

HOLD the Power (on/off) button and Home (round button with white square) button for 10-12 seconds. Ignore the Turn off message and release the buttons when you see the white apple logo. Let your iPad boots. Now try to open the PDF file with PDF Expert.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

still nothing:(

Thanks Tony.

Just to confirm, does Adobe Reader still be able to open? When you open the PDF file, did it ask you to choose which app to open?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I think I'll try your last suggestion again as when I reopened my iPad, it still had the last adobe document open....I would have expected that to clear?

Tony,

If you reset the ipad, it should be cleared.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, it cleared this time and I resent the email with the pdf attachment...still no option to open with pdf expert. Is there anyway I can send the file to you and see if you can open it with pdf expert?

Tony,

When you open PDF file, does it open in Adobe Reader automatically?

If yes, please try to delete/remove Adobe Reader app. Reset your iPad and try again.

If still not working, please reset the settings on your iPad and test again:

1. On your device, go to Settings.
  2. Select General
  3. Select Reset (all the way at the bottom of this list)
  4. Select Reset all settings. (1st choice)
  5. Your iPad will reboot and prompt for wifi setup and other services setup.
  6. Test to see if your device is working properly or still have the same problem.

Please let me know how this reset worked out. Thank you!

Nick
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, it seems there is an invisible copy of Adobe hiding in there somewhere! It still opens up with Adobe!! How can that happen?

Tony,

Please tap and HOLD the PDF file, does it show you option to open the file with PDF Expert?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I resent the file but the ipad now says cannot get mail no internet available

Tony,

Please make sure your ipad is connected to wifi.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Connected again...and opening attachment with an unknown application that recognises pdf format...but its not pdf expert (or adobe). What could it be?

Thanks Tony.

That is the default PDF/book reader. Please go to Settings->General->About. What is the iOS version your iPad using now?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

6.3.1

Thanks Tony,

Open the email. Tap and HOLD on the PDF file. Do you see a window to choose which app to open that PDF? See photo.

graphic

If yes, select Open In and select PDF Expert.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Now it does :) Thank you :)

You are very welcomed Tony. Glad we worked it out.

Thanks for your rating. Have a great day!

Nick
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Same problem again...this time it won't work. :(

Tony,

Please reset the settings on your iPad and test again:

1. On your iPad, go to Settings.
  2. Select General