Michelle
Michelle, Mac Technician
Experience:  Apple Computers and Mobile support with 12 years of exp.
70409726

I spent from 11:00 a.m. until 6:00 p.m. the other day and got

I spent from 11:00 a.m. until 6:00 p.m. the other day and got "Timed out" when I asked my last question. I feel like the person just went home without turning me over to someone else. My question is now that I have a new password XXXXX up on my I-Mac how do I get all my info from my account that I forgot my password? I do photos for my church and have over 30000 pictures

Appleologist :

Hi, and welcome to JustAnswer! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am excited to get started with you.

I am sorry you were not able to connect to your previous chat. I will do my best to assist you. I understand your have already created a new account. Now you need to access your old account to retrieve some pictures. To do so, first open your finder window. (Click on the happy face icon on your dock)

Appleologist :

Under devices in the left column, choose Macintosh HD

Customer :

o.K

Appleologist :

Click on the users folder

Customer :

done

Appleologist :

Select your old account. You will notice a prohibitory sign near the folders. Within your old account, select the picture folder

Customer :

Figured it out....drug it over but says not enough free space

Appleologist :

Do you have an external hard drive?

Customer :

yes

Appleologist :

Ok, since you will take up 60,000 worth of photos if you copy your photos from one account to the other, you will need to first drag the picture folder from your computer on to your external drive. Then delete the pictures from your old account then transfer the pictures from your external hard drive back onto your new account

Appleologist :

Does the picture folder have a red prohibitory sign?

Customer :

yes

Appleologist :

Before you transfer, you will need to assign privileges to yourself. To do this, select the entire picture folder and choose File<get info

Appleologist :

A box will then pop up

Customer :

ok

Appleologist :

Scroll all the way to the bottom under Sharing and permissions. First, click on the lock in the bottom right corner and type in your password. Then within the sharing and permissions box, click on the "+" sign and add your new account on the list. Assign read and write privileges. Then, right next to the "-" sign, you will see a gear with an arrow. Click on that and then choose Apply to enclosed items

Appleologist :

It will take some time to assign privileges to your entire picture folder

Customer :

I was already listed so I clicked on it and now the red - is gone fom the pictures

Appleologist :

Ok great. To make sure, can you click on the picture folder and look within some folders within the picture folder to make sure there are not locked folders

Customer :

says it's locked....would I like i-photo to fix problem

Appleologist :

That means you did not select "apply to enclosed item" Select the entire picture folder. Click on the gear again and choose apply to enclosed items

Full Size Image

Customer :

also I have my external hard drive connected....sorry should have asked first!!!! There's the pictures....yeah

Appleologist :

Its ok no worries. Ok so you have selected apply to enclosed items correct?

Customer :

I know......put them on hard drive ...lol

Appleologist :

Lol ha ha yes. Drag them onto the hard drive

Appleologist :

Sorry, its over 30,000 photos so I want to double tripple check

Customer :

Thank-you so much...I'll do the same to other folders

Appleologist :

No problem! Was there anything els I can assist you with?

Customer :

I hit the events folder and try to move it (as well as others but it's not dragging over

Appleologist :

Are all of your photos in iphoto?

Customer :

yes...went back to open "pictures" file and drug it over from that...only 57.69 G.B....is that bad lol

Appleologist :

Wow. Thats a lot of pictures! Thats not bad at all. Mine is only 22 GB so maybe I need to take some more pics

Customer :

Good thing it's a full terabite

Appleologist :

Yes indeed!

Customer :

Thank-you again....I'll do the rest of my files in about 20 hours (that's what it says) ouchhhhhhhhhhhhh

Appleologist :

Yes. It is going to take some time. Also, before you delete the photos from your computer, Select the picture folder and press get info. In the upper right corner you will see the size of the folder. Make sure it matches

Appleologist :

You are very welcome!

Customer :

How do i save this chat?

Appleologist :

It is automatically saved in your account. You can click on My Questions to see all of your past questions

Customer :

I'm on windows

Customer :

Thank-you...have a great day.. God Bless

Appleologist :

Thank you! May God bless you too :)