Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc

I have a 27-inch iMac. My mouse stops working intermittently.

Customer Question

I have a 27-inch iMac. My mouse stops working intermittently. I have to turn off the computer to get the moue to work again, but then after a few minutes the mouse stops working and I just get the revolving gear wheel.

The mouse is obviously not the problem, because I have had the same problem with an Apple wireless mouse and with a USB mouse.

What can I do to solve the problem?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
Hi and Welcome. My Name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

The problem is not the mouse, because the spinning wheel indicates that your Mac is busy with something or it can't read from or write to the hard disk properly.

We can try some basic troubleshooting steps and see if that works or not. First we can reset the PRAM and NVRAM of your Mac.

Reset PRAM and NVRAM

1. Turn off your Mac
  2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command(Apple), Option, P, and R.
  3. Turn it back on and immediately hold down the Command(Apple)-Option-P-R keys.
  4. Release the keys when you hear the startup/chime sound for 3 times.
  5. Let the Mac boot up.

If that didn’t work, then restart your Mac in Safe Mode. Booting in to Safe Mode will do some limited repairs to the system files. To boot into Safe Mode, turn off your Mac. Turn it back on and immediately hold down the Shift key on your Keyboard. Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple and progress indicator. Let the Mac boot up to Safe Mode.

If Safe Mode didn’t work, then we can run Disk Utility from Single User Mode. Follow the steps below to run Disk Utility in Single User Mode.

Turn your Mac off. Turn it back on and this time hold down the Command (Apple) key and the S keys at the same time. This will boot your Mac into Single User Mode (black screen with white letters). Then type the following commands...

/sbin/fsck -fy (note the space between fsck and -fy)

If you can't run /sbin/fsck -fy then type only fsk - fy

Hit return and the disk utility should run and let it finish. When it finishes and there is no error, then type reboot and hit return. Let the Mac boot up. (Disk Utility will fix all system errors, bad preferences files etc)

Let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting.

Best Regards,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I tried your first suggestion, but nothing happened. The start up/chime came on as usual as soon as I switched the machine on, and when I held the keys down nothing more happened.

Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
Mike, the PRAM is reset. Now try the other two and please let me know.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

How do you know the PRAM is reset? There weren't THREE chimes, only the usual ONE chime, and that was before I held the keys down.

Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
Sometimes you won't hear chimes, but if you hold down more than 6 seconds then it will reset
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
Mike, try Safe Mode and then Disk Utility in Single User Mode. If you get any errors in Disk Utility, please let me know.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

A friend if mine who is a techie says he can't see how your suggestion could possibly work.

Why did you not say anything about 6 seconds before?

Your advice is not worth the £56 that I paid. Please let me have a refund.

Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.

Hi Mike, Sorry for the delay..My answer is 100% correct as I have seen this problem before. These are the steps recommended by Apple, not by me. We just started troubleshooting and we've not finished yet. Those are the basic troubleshooting steps. Please try my suggestion at least Mike.

Mike, 99% of times your Mac will make chime/startup sound when you reset the PRAM, but sometimes it will not. Usually it will take only 6 seconds to reset the PRAM. The problem is not with the Mouse, but with the system files. That is why we are trying Safe Mode and Disk Utility to isolate the problem and fix it.

If you don't want to continue, you can contact Customer Support at "[email protected]" for refund.

Remember I've no control over your account, so please let the customer service to process the refund for you.

You can also get refund from here :

If you want to continue, please let me know and I will stay with you until we fix the problem. If you are not satisfied, you can always go for refund.

Best Regards,