Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

I have a MACBOOK PRO with the IOS being "10.5.8"....when i

Customer Question

I have a MACBOOK PRO with the IOS being "10.5.8"....when i try to upgrade it tells me, my software is up to date but when i am downloading certain applications, i get the feedback that i need to upgrade my MAC to be able to install the application.

Can you pls assist me on how to go about this.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
Hi and Welcome. My Name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Could you please give me the hardware specs of your Mac ? Goto Apple > About This Mac > More Info. Copy and paste everything from there to here
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro5,5

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed: 2.26 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 2

L2 Cache: 3 MB

Memory: 2 GB

Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz

Boot ROM Version: MBP55.00AC.B03

SMC Version (system): 1.47f2

Serial Number (system): W8926HAV66D

Hardware UUID: 71F8483A-8153-54E4-94FE-67F311631975

Sudden Motion Sensor:

State: Enabled

Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for the info Joann. Good News ! Your Mac can handle the latest Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

To install 10.8 Mountain Lion, you need to have the Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard installed on your Mac. So first, buy the Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard Retail Discs and upgrade your Mac to 10.6 Snow Leopard. Upgrading is easy, just put the discs to your Mac and follow the onscreen instructions to upgrade. You can't download 10.6 from Internet, you need 10.6 Snow Leopard as discs to upgrade.

You can buy the Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard Retail discs from eBay.com, Amazon.com etc or from Apple. See here : http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC573Z/A/mac-os-x-106-snow-leopard

After installing Snow Leopard, do all Software Updates from Apple > Software Updates and then you can buy 10.8 Mountain Lion from Snow Leopard's AppStore application as digital download. (There is a AppStore application where you can buy applications directly from your Mac itself as digital download)

If you have any questions or would like any additional information, please don't hesitate to ask.

Best Regards,

Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
Joann, most of all the news applications requires atleast 10.6 Snow Leopard. So I'd recommend to update to 10.6 atleast. Snow Leopard is only $19.99

You can upgrade to 10.8 Mountaion Lion at any time you want and 10.8 is only $19.99

Best Regards,
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
Hi there,
It's me Ashik again. It has been a few days, so I am just checking in with you to see if you still need help. I want you to be happy with the service I am providing, so if we still need to work on this let me know.

If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them.

If you are satisfied with my service, please rate me Positively.

Thanks and Have a great day,