Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

I am having a problem with connecting my macbook pro to my

I am having a problem with connecting my macbook pro to my tv with HDMI. Every time I connect it, it says resolution mismatch. I have tried connecting my mac book to all my other tv's and it woks fine. i have a 39 inch magnavox tv. this is a problem because i use my mac book in clamshell mode 98% of the time.

Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Try this with the MacBook while connected to the TV:

1. Shut down the computer.
2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need them in step 4.
3. Turn on the computer.
4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys before the gray screen appears.
5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts.
6. Release the key
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry, I forgot to mention I rest the PRAM yesterday and that did not work. I have also already deleted the "Windowserver"files

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, go to About This Mac (DO NOT Select More Info), and tell me the Version (under Mac OS X), the Processor and the Memory, it is all right there.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Version:10.8.3

Processor: 2.3GHz intel core i5

Memory: 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
When you go to System Preferences/ Display and select Scaled what resolutions are listed?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

when its connected to the TV:

1080p

1080i

720p

480p

1600x900

1360x768

1280x960

1280x768

1024x768

1024x576

800x600

640x480

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

What model MacBook is it? Can you give me the serial number?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Macbook Pro 13 inch, Early 2011

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
OK what model Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Adapter?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Rocketfish RF-AP305

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
It seems that should work. You say you have connected it to other Tvs and it works at 1080p or 1080i?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
OK that kind of rules out the MacBook but lets try resetting the SMC:

Resetting the SMC on portables with a battery you should not remove on your own
1. Shut down the computer.
2. Plug in the MagSafe power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if its not already connected.
3. On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.
4. Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.
5. Press the power button to turn on the computer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

it is still giving me the message "this tv does not support the output format, video resolution, or refresh rate of connected Device"

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
OK I have had that message a few times in the past and unplugging the TV/ Receiver or other device from power and allowing it to "restart" has fixed it. Try that.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

it is still only working when that laptop is open but not in clamshell mode

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
OK I didn't get from your question that it worked at all. So it works but ONLY when not in clamshell mode?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I'm sorry I wasn't clear about that before
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Do you have a mouse and keyboard attached when you close the laptop?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I have a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse connected
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
OK there must be a problem with the HDMI "handshake" with that TV. Did you try unplugging the TV from power after you closed the MacBook?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes several timas

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
OK short of reinstalling Mountain Lion (which you might try but since it works with other TVs I doubt that will work) I suggest you contact the manufacturer some newer TVs have firmware that can be updated. Sorry I wish I had a better answer but we have tried everything else.

http://www.magnavox.com/support/contact.php
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

would reinstalling mountain lion delete all my files?

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
No.

Reboot and hold the Option key, select the Recovery HD to boot from, then run Disk Utility and when it opens you will see your hard drive (usually Macintosh HD) on the left. Highlight your hard drive and click on Verify Disk on the right. If that is OK and only if that is OK click on Repair Permissions. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair. If Repair is successful then Repair Permissions if it is not successful let me know.

If all is OK quit Disk Utility and select Reinstall Mac OS X. It will take a while to download. Let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hello, so last night I reinstalled mountain lion and that did nothing to help. Today I was using my macbook outside, and when I brought it back inside and connected it back to my TV it worked for a moment in clamshell mode and I could use the screen, but then It went right back to displaying the " resolution mismatch" box.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Yes I'm afraid it is the TV there are different HDMI standards maybe a different cable, I suggest you ask the manufacturer what standard the HDMI is on the TV I don’t see it on the site. If that does not work and you plan on using that a lot with your MacBook I would return it if possible and get a better TV, sometimes you get what you pay for unfortunately.
Mike, Mac Medic
Experience: Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes unfortunately we do. Thank you so much for all your help.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
No problem good luck.