Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

I recently added a bunch of photos to my iPhoto library - some

Customer Question

I recently added a bunch of photos to my iPhoto library - some were scanned in, some downloaded from my camera - and they ended up going into the spots where other photos were. They appeared as blurry versions of them selves in the thumbnails, but when I opened them, I could see the older photo that they were covering. I was able to fix it by putting them on my desktop and importing them again (I got the old versions back). When I went to my folder for the last 12 months, the new pictures were there and useable. But how do I prevent this from happening? ~sb
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, go to About This Mac (DO NOT Select More Info), and tell me the Version (under Mac OS X), the Processor and the Memory, it is all right there.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

processor: 1.66 GHz Intel Core Duo,

memory: 1.25 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SD RAM

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Put the current operating system disk in (the disk that came with your computer unless you have upgraded, in that case use the new system disk) and restart holding down the letter C key until you see the Apple logo. Choose your language then you get to the install screen DO NOT INSTALL, you will see at the top of the screen a Utilities menu drop down. Go the Disk Utility, Highlight your hard drive (usually Macintosh HD) and click on Verify Disk on the right. If that is OK and only if that is OK click on Repair Permissions. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair. If Repair is successful then Repair Permissions if it is not successful let me know.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Wow - It's going to take me some time to locate that disk! I can't get to it right now. Can I keep this conversation open for a little while?

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Yes that is fine
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'm not going to try your suggestion. I rebuilt my thumbnail cache and I'm going to buy a new MacMini instead. My OS is so old, I guess it's just time. Thank you anyway!