Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

macbook pro boots to grey screen

macbook pro boots to grey screen
Does it have a battery you can remove?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I don't think so

OK try this:

Resetting the SMC & PRAM on portables with a battery you should not remove on your own
1. Shut down the computer.
2. Plug in the MagSafe power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if its not already connected.
3. On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.
4. Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.
5. Press the power button to turn on the computer.
6. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys before the gray screen appears.
7. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts.
8. Release the keys.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Tried this three times,didn't work. after waiting the last time, apple logo flashes briefly to a circle with a line through it, then returns to apple logo

OK try the startup disk again holding Command - C.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

command C shuts computer down immediately...

tried again. didnt shut down, but didn't do anything different

Sorry hold the power button for about 10 seconds then start it and immediately hold just the C key if you are sure the disk is the correct one. Let me know
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

When I hold the start button for 10 sec. it just shuts down. tried waiting for chime sound, then hit C-just shuts down. Tried a fifth time, waited for chime, then hit C and nothing new. Disc is original one with macbook pro. Haven't upgraded OS since.

Right holding the power button for about 10 seconds shuts it down. Then you hit it again and you do not hear the startup chime at all? Are you holding the letter C, not Control right?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Tried three more times, now holding down start for 10 seconds DOESN'T shut it down. Definitely pressing C button, not control.

You do mean the Power button right?

not sure what you mean by "start".
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes. power button=start button. sorry

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

tried C again after 10 sec Power button. now screen has no logo for about a minute, then apple logo shows up. nothing else

If the disk is in it may take some time to boot to it, disks are much slower than hard drives.

Choose your language then you get to the install screen DO NOT INSTALL, you will see at the top of the screen a Utilities menu drop down. Go the Disk Utility, Highlight your hard drive (usually Macintosh HD) and click on Verify Disk on the right. If that is OK and only if that is OK click on Repair Permissions. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair. If Repair is successful then Repair Permissions if it is not successful let me know.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Should I keep holding C until something comes up? Held it for over two minutes with nothing...

I've haven't seen any screen asking me to choose language. I tried all this before I contacted you as I saw this last answer you gave, and wondered why I never got this screen

You can let go as soon as you see the Apple Logo but it should not take that long to boot.

... if holding that button won't even shut it down at times and there is no startup chime (you didn't say for sure) and you have followed the directions to reset the SMC and the PRAM then I'm afraid there is a serious hardware issue that cannot be resolved by us. You will need to take it in to Apple or another service provider so they can determine exactly what hardware component has failed. Sorry.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Wait. I'm sorry, what directions to reset SMC and PRAM? The first instructions? Shift control,option, start? Tried again repeatedly....

I'm getting Chimes everytime I restart. Sometimes holding the Power button for 10 sec shuts it down, sometimes it doesn't.

Yes and resetting the PRAM using the Command-Option-P-R keys. Ok so you do get the chime but it won't boot to the system disk correct?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes. Tried pram again, too. Get chime everytime. No boot to disk.

Then there is a hardware failure... maybe only the hard drive if you are lucky, sorry.