Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

how to configure proxy settings on outlook 2011 in mac

Customer Question

Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Usually proxy settings are universal in System Preferences/ Network / Advanced / Proxies.... can you clarify?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Correctly . this is what i want on windows with exchange i can reach this setting on Account Setting/More Setting/Connection then Connect to Microsoft using HTTP inside it there are two line to fill

1. Use this URL to connect my proxy server for exchange

(https://mx.tz.airtel.com) Is what needs to be filled

2. Only connect to proxy servers that have this principal ame in their certificate:

(msstd:mx.tz.airtel.com)

Thanks

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
This should tell you how to do it on Mac, of course add your info for the servers listed here:

https://it.byu.edu/byu/help.do?&sysparm_document_key=kb_knowledge,371f9f340a0a3c540033a48d58b4dab5
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the input i followed the link perfectly . But i missed direction from item 12 going down as i failed to locate them on Microsoft 2011 for Mac. Please help me out this is very important for me

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Mac Outlook requires an Exchange 2007 server or later. Can you check with them to make sure?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

We are using Exchange 2008 Server

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
OK then I think you can delete the account and set it up again choosing Exchange server:

graphic

then fill in the info and check the box Configure Automatically:

graphic

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Even if am not connected to the LAN at the moment ??? Should i choose Automatically ????

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Well no it has to connect to your server to do that. Not on the LAN from the Internet
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Okay i got you can we proceed tomorrow morning when am in the office as right now was working from home trying to find out what is missing from the configuration as when am connected to the LAN i can sync my emails perfectly the problem is when am out of the office to sync over internet .

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
From home is when you need the proxy settings not on the LAN. You should try it there.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes i need proxy Settings as on the LAN i don`t have any issue. The problem is connecting exchange when outside the LAN . On my second mail i showed the steps i did when using windows machine with exchange 2013 review version the steps i go till i reach the settings required the problem is with Microsoft outlook 2011 for Mac i can`t find the settings to enter my mx.tz.airtel.com & msstd:mx.tz.airtel.com .

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Right what I wanted you to try is the Automatic Configuration when on the Internet not while on the LAN. You already said you don't need that on the LAN. Make sense?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Okay that one i can do it now . Give me a min

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
K
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I did as directed but it says can not connect on Microsoft Exchange . After hitting the Automatic Tab it then gave me a place to fill in Exchange Server and i wrote mx.tz.airtel.com and the on the Directory Service Server i put msstd:mx.airtel.com as per your link directions sent earlier .

Kindly advise further .

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
What Method did you choose?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

User name & Password XXXXX

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Are you sure that is what they are using?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes am very sure of this .

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
OK then I suggest you go to System Preferences/ Network make a new location calling it Exchange then put the proxy info in the Advanced / Proxies tab then try setting it up automatically again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry help me out with one thing . On the proxies side do i need to put the LAN proxy (10.0.18.90:8080) or the mx.tz.airtel.com ???

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
10.0.18.90:8080 can only be accessed when you are on the LAN so use the other one:

mx.tz.airtel.com
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

and port number ???

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
8080
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Getting the same error Outlook can not connect to the Exchange Server

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
OK not sure what protocol you used in Proxies that would be determined by your server. Is this how you did it?

graphic

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Exactly was verifying again .

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Ok in that case I am stumped sorrry, I'll opt out
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Okay thanks very much, so should i wait for feedback as i assume my problem is not resolved yet .

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Just a hint , when configuring the same account on iphone i just enter the email address , user credentials and Server : mx.tz.airtel.com and tick SSL

Then this message pops : Remote Security Administration

"The server mx.tz.airtel.com requires that you allow it to remotely control some security features of your device.Do you want to finish setting up this account ? "

When you press Ok it start sync

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Well that is what Outlook is supposed to do with the Configure Automatically but it is Microsoft after all. You might try using Mail app instead
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Okay can we proceed tomorrow as it is very late this side and am too tired even my concentration will not be good though i really need a solution for this issue .

thanks

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
OK please ask your IT people what they think and let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

okay i will . Thanks for your time and support am sure we will come to the bottom of this issue .

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
k
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello Mike ,

I believe all is well. Today i have tried to do as you instructed before while connected on the LAN but when ever am out of the LAN i can not sync my emails . Please can you assist so that we finalize this .

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
You need to do that when NOT on the LAN we already know the LAN works. Did you ask your IT person?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes i did and they said it configuration issue but they dont know how to do it as it is configured on the machine and not their side .

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Did you try setting it up in the Mail program when outside your LAN?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes or may be i dont know how can you direct me and see it we will manage to get it to work

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
I wanted you to set up new accounts in both Outlook and Mail when outside your LAN using the Automatic method.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I did and it refused

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Did you have the proxy setttings setup in Network Preferences?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I always remove it when ever am using my modem .

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Not sure what you mean you need to use the proxy settings when outside your LAN
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Am trying to attach something so that you see how it is done on Windows ,but for strange reason it fails to attach . Is it possible to give you team viewer access to my machine running windows so that you have a look on what i need may be you will understand what i want to archive .

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Here is a better version of how to do that on the Mac, start with To set up Outlook 2011 for Mac and of course use your own info from your IT dept:

http://hosting.intermedia.net/support/kb/?id=2101
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Brother , i followed your instructions but still no luck i don`t know where i do it wrong . Is there a way that you can connect remotely and assist me please am ready to pay more once we are done .

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Yes but you have to be outside your LAN to do this.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
I will be offline between 2:30 pm and about 7 pm CT, USA.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello Brother , Sorry for the delay in giving you feedback . Do you have time today so that we finalize this ??? I can give you access to the machine as am out side the LAN today .

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Please go here:

https://join.me

Click on the orange Share arrow.

It should download to your Downloads folder and automatically expand to a file called join.me.app, if not double click on it to expand the zip file.

Drag that to your Applications folder and double click on it. You should see a small box at the top of your screen.

Click on share.

You will see a 9 digit number at the top, give that to me here. Then look for my messages on your screen.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello Brother , sorry for late response i stepped out . Let me try to get the download and install it then i will keep you posted on the results .

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
OK give me a minute.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello here are the codes 629-943-591

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
New codes tomorrow
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
That will be about 3 am here so I won't be up but I'll try to get up earlier than usual.