Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

Hi! a few months ago i bought a Canvio 3.0 portable USB Hard

Hi! a few months ago i bought a Canvio 3.0 portable USB Hard drive. Now I am having trouble using it. I have permission to read only. What can I do?
PS. I own a MAC
Open Disk Utility in Applications / Utilities folder and select the drive on the left, then on the right click on Verify Disk. Let me know.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It doesnt allow me to verify disk.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

it doesn't allow me to verify disk

What does it say?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It doesn't say anything, the verify disk icon is blurry and I can't press it

Ok select the name of the formatted volume that is listed under the Canvio device on the left then look at the bottom of the Disk Utility window what is listed next to Format?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

This is what is in the bottom of the disk utility window.

Mount Point : /Volumes/TOSHIBA EXT Capacity : 1 TB (1,000,202,787,328 Bytes)

Format : Windows NT File System (NTFS) Available : 562.31 GB (562,308,804,608 Bytes)

Owners Enabled : No Used : 437.89 GB (437,893,980,160 Bytes)

Number of Folders : 0 Number of Files : 24,977

NTSF formatted drives cannot normally be used on Mac computers without special software. Do you have any special software installed to read and write to NTSF drives on that Mac?
If not I recomend this software, it will allow you to read and write to that drive on your Mac:
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
You think I should buy that software? My brother owns a windows laptop would that help somehow?
Well you can read it on Windows because that is a Windows format but if you want to use it on the Mac you will need that software.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Do you think I can copy all my data to the windows PC and then restore with a new format for Mac?
Yes but if you want to use it on both you will need that software
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Is there a way to change the format without deleting the information?
No sorry it will have to be erased. You can copy the data to a PC and then erase it just as you said.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok I will try that. then how do I change the format of my hard drive?

Plug it back into your Mac and open Disk Utility, select the device on the left and then the Erase tab on the right choose Format Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and name the drive then click on Erase.

Why did you give me a Poor Service Rating? What happened? Everything I told you is correct... if there was a problem I am here to help you. Let me know?