Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc

My moms MBA is getting 17mbps we are paying for 12 and my year

My moms MBA is getting 17mbps we are paying for 12 and my year newer (4 months) MBP is getting 2.

I dont run any virus protection but I do own a copy of virusbarrier its old but ill run that.

I have run into some performance issues on this mac (referb) that required a new mother board so I perhaps something else is wrong.
Hi there. My Name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Sorry for the delayed response. Is your Mac connected via Wired or Wireless ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Wireless... but interesting enough I think I had the same slow internet when I booted into windows.

Nic, That means the problem is with the router since it is slow in Windows too. Can you try via ethernet ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok so the problem is with OSX and wifi. Plugged into the router I get 22 on windows and mac. Wireless I get about 16 in windows and an average of 2 on mac if I can even get the test to load.

Right after I test at 22 plugged in to the router I can unplug and switch to wireless which then will run around 16 as well.

But If i wait a few minutes then it drops back to around 2mbps.

I run these test with

Hi Nic, Sorry for the delayed response, my apologies. Then it is wireless problem.

We can add Open DNS to your Mac and see if that improve the internet speed of your Mac. Goto System Preferences and open Network. Select your connection from the list (Airport or Wireless) and click Advanced. Select the DNS tab and add and to the list of DNS servers. Click OK (Note: If there are any greyed out IP numbers they can be ignored)
Now we can reset the PRAM and NVRAM of your Mac.

1. Turn off your Mac
  2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command(Apple), Option, P, and R.
  3. Turn it back on and immediately hold down the Command(Apple)-Option-P-R keys.
  4. Release the keys when you hear the startup/chime sound for 3 times.
  5. Let the Mac boot up.

Then goto Applications > Utilities folder and open Disk Utility. In Disk Utility, select your hard disk in left column. Under First Aid, click Repair Permission and then Verify Disk and Repair Disk if asked. Please let me know how it goes Nic.

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok that did not seem to help much on my account but when i tested my guest account I actually got about 4 down. but that was the first time I tested that account.

Here is what Disk Utility turned up....

For my Internal OS SSD

Verifying permissions for “SSD”

Group differs on “Applications”; should be 80; group is 0.

Permissions differ on “Applications”; should be drwxrwxr-x ; they are drwxr-xr-x .

ACL differs on “Applications”

ACL differs on “Applications/DVD”

ACL found but not expected on “Applications/DVD”

ACL found but not expected on “bin/unlink”

Permissions differ on “bin/wait4path”; should be -r-xr-xr-x ; they are -rwxr-xr-x .

ACL found but not expected on “bin/wait4path”

Permissions verification complete

And this is what I got with my internal drive for my user files.

Verifying volume “HD”

Checking file systemPerforming live verification.

Checking Journaled HFS Plus volume.

Checking extents overflow file.

Checking catalog file.

Checking multi-linked files.

Checking catalog hierarchy.

Checking extended attributes file.

Checking volume bitmap.

Volume bitmap needs minor repair for orphaned blocks

Checking volume information.

Invalid volume free block count

(It should be XXXXXXXXX instead of XXXXXXXXX

The volume HD was found corrupt and needs to be repaired.

Error: This disk needs to be repaired using the Recovery HD. Restart your computer, holding down the Command key and the R key until you see the Apple logo. When the OS X Utilities window appears, choose Disk Utility.

I can run disk utility through my backup partition to try and fix those but what would have caused that and could it possibly be related to my internet speed?

EDIT: Just ran another speed test and got 7 down 2 up still not 12 like what i should be able to get but its been very random on speed changes.

HI Nic, It seems like some system files or the partition of the hard drive is corrupted. It is a common problem with computers. I'd recommend to reinstall your Mac OS X, that will replace the old system files with new one. Could you please try that ?

Since it showed the disk is corrupted, I'd recommend to backup all your important files ASAP
Nic, before reinstalling we can try to reset the network settings of your Mac and see if that works or not. Goto Macintosh HD/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration folder and move these files to the desktop.

Then download and install this utility, Onyx from here :

Open Onyx. In Onyx, click on Maintenance tab. Select Rebuild tab, check all boxes and then Execute. The under Cleaning select System and User and check all boxes on both and Execute. When it finished, restart your Mac and try connection. Any improvement ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No <>

Ignore that file if you can't find it. Move the others. That will reset the network settings of your Mac.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I tried your link but even after 7 slow megabytes it still did not show the file size so I stopped it and downloaded from Cnet. That version was not compatible with my OS. Is yours?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

That appears not to have helped.

I was going to reinstall the OS until i remembered to give this a try so I don't mind doing that.

Do you have any more ideas i could try? I don't have a problem starting fresh Ive done it a few times its just time consuming.

Nic, we have tried eveything so far and reinstalling the OS X is the only option I could think of now. You should reinstall since it shows the disk is corrupted. I know it's very frustrating to reinstall, but that'd be the best option here. Let me know how it goes Nic

Best regards,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok just did a fresh install on 10.8

I loaded my account and installed flash

went to do a speed test.

my moms mac book air 18.07

My macbook pro 1.74

Fresh OS with nothing but flash installed...

Hi Nic, Sorry for the delay. Now, we both know the problem is not with the OS X or system files of your Mac. I'm begining to think either it is the router or it is the WiFi adaptor of your Mac. Have you tried resetting your router ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok well I pressed and held the reset button for about 15 seconds.

I was expecting that to hard reset it but the custom network name stayed the same so I guess it was just a soft reset.

Any ways it appears to have fixed the problem. Ill come back it goes bad again. Thank you.

Glad to hear that Nic. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Best Regards,
Hi Nic,
It's me Ashik again. It has been a few days, so I am just checking in with you to see if you still need help. Please let me know if you need any help :)

Thanks and Have a great day,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Nope every thing has been working great. Thank you for checking in.

You're most welcome Nic :)

Have a great day,