Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc

I´m having problems with my Macbook Pro. Whenever I start my

I´m having problems with my Macbook Pro. Whenever I start my computer, it stays a lot of time in the gray window with the apple... like if doing a software update. Then after maybe 8 to 15 minutes, i can start working normally from my desktop. How can I solved this problem??
Hi and Welcome. My Name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

This usually happens if your Mac can't read the system files properly. What version of Mac OS X are you using ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

We can try some basic troubleshooting steps and see if that works or not. First we can reset the PRAM and NVRAM of your Mac.

Reset PRAM and NVRAM

1. Turn off your Mac
  2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command(Apple), Option, P, and R.
  3. Turn it back on and immediately hold down the Command(Apple)-Option-P-R keys.
  4. Release the keys when you hear the startup/chime sound for 3 times.
  5. Let the Mac boot up.

Then we can run Disk Utility from Single User Mode. Follow the steps below to run Disk Utility in Single User Mode.

Turn your Mac off. Turn it back on and this time hold down the Command (Apple) key and the S keys at the same time. This will boot your Mac into Single User Mode (black screen with white letters). Then type the following commands...

/sbin/fsck -fy (note the space between fsck and -fy)

If you can't run /sbin/fsck -fy then type only fsk - fy

Hit return and the disk utility should run and let it finish. When it finishes and there is no error, then type reboot and hit return. Let the Mac boot up. (Disk Utility will fix all system errors, bad preferences files etc)

Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

which one is the option??

option key is the alt key next to Control key.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I'm finishing the reset of the pram and nvram. Should I do immediately the other indications?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The result says that the Mac Volumn couldn't be fixed after 3 attempts.

The incorrect number of threat records was (4, 38361)
That means there is a problem with the Mac OS X system files or your hard drive. Do you have the Mac OS X 10.6 installation discs ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No. Can't find it
Is there any way to get it ? We need the discs to reinstall your Mac OS X to fix the system files.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No I don't have it... We recently moved and I lost it.. Is there any other way??
Janson, unless this is an hardware problem, we can fix it by reinstalling the OS X. But you need the Mac OS X installation discs. If you don't have it, then you can buy it. You can buy it from, or from Apple :

Make sure you buy the 10.6 Snow Leopard RETAIL discs

Meantime, please run Disk Utility in Single User Mode and see if you are getting the same error. I'd recommend to backup all of your files ASAP. Let me know how it goes
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I ran the disk utility in single mode again and it shows the sam error...

I all ready have download the Mac Os x 10.6 Snow Leopard...

In order to do the backup i need and external hard disk right? I don't have one with me. Is there any other way to do a backup without an external hard drive?

Yes, I'd recommend to backup to exernal hard drive. Yes, you can burn the files to DVDs. See instructions here :

Downloaded Snow Leopard won't work as you need it as discs. You have to buy the Retail 10.6 Snow Leopard disc to reinstall.

It seems like the error indicates some kind of hard drive's partition problem. Usually happens if the partition is corrupted (including physical hard drive problem) or just corrupted system files. Reinstalling the OS X is the only way to find out the exact problem

Reinstalling is easy, just put it on your Mac, restart your Mac and hold down the C key on your Keyboard. This will boot into the disc. Then follow the onscreen instructions to reinstall.

Janson, backup your important files ASAP. Let me know what you think...
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I live in Panama, Central America... so it can take a while to received the retail disc...

I guess I´ll just take my computer to a Mac Service place then...

Thanks for your support...

Jennifer, we've already tried all steps so far. We can't move further without the discs. I'm sorry that I couldn't solve your problem.

Before taking it to the Apple Store, make sure you backup all of your files. So if they erase the hard drive, you will have the backup with you.

If you have any questions or would like any information please don't hesitate to ask as I'm always happy to help.

Best Regards,

Jennifer wait..One more suggestion. Login to your Mac desktop. Goto Applications > Utilities and open Disk Utility. In Disk Utility, select your hard disk and hit Verify Disk. If asked to repair, hit Repair Disk. Let me know if you get any errors.