John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience:  20+ years in the computer/Mac industry
60674955

where is my apple key on my I Mac

Customer Question

where is my apple key on my I Mac
Category: Mac
Expert:  Vinod Menon replied 1 year ago.

I am Vinod. I will try my best to help you resolve this issue.

If you don't see the apple key on the keyboard (with an apple icon on it), you would probably be using a newer mac in which case the apple key is replaced by the command key.

You can find the command key on either side of the space bar on the keyboard. Hold down the command and S button together after you hear the chime while rebooting.

Let me know if you find any difficulty.

Thank You
Vinod
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

My mac is about 5 years old. The problem is I've forgotten my password XXXXX at 58 am not that tech savy!!

Don't worry. I will help you out.

I have attached a screenshot showing which would be the apple key.

graphic

I believe you just need to know the apple key on the keyboard. If you need me to write the whole process for password XXXXX please let me know and I will send that to you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

PLEASE.... I need the whole process...again I'm not the best on these here things:} so go slow lol.... right now I have the screen that has my admin name and sleep, restart, and shutdown on it. Also it says Mac OS X

since I don't know what you did last time, let me know this.

Do you have the installation discs of the mac?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I couldn't find one....found my three year plan etc( past now) and everthing else but it grrrrrr

So we need to wipe out everything on the mac and create a new account..:(

let's try this.

You need to enter terminal and create a new admin account:

1. Reboot

2. Hold apple key + s key down after you hear the chime. (command + s on newer Macs)

3. When you get text prompt enter in these terminal commands to create a brand new admin account (hitting return after each line):

mount -uw /
rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone
shutdown -h now

4. After rebooting you should have a brand new admin account. When you login as the new admin you can simply delete the old one and your good to go again!

let me know if you find any difficulty.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The problem is how do i get a text prompt?? it goes right to the screen I just told you about( IE: mac background with my sign in screen

That means it is not going into the password XXXXX screen.

Let's restart the mac and immediately hold down the command and S keys together for nearly a minute. If it is still taking you to the sign in screen, let me know
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It now says AppleYukon2: RxRingsize <= 1024, TxRingsize 256, RX_MAX_LE 1024, TX_MAX_LE 768, ST_MAX_LE 3328

let's restart the computer again and this time immediately hold down the command and R keys together for sometime.

Does it take you to any utilities screen?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It takes me back to the sign in screen.....I didn't mention before with the "S" key there was a whole page of commands etc: I just typed the last line. It says if you want to make mods. to files either

/sbin/fsck -fy or

/sbin/mount uw /

yes, that is the terminal we need. try command and S key again.

Enter these commands (hitting return after each line)

mount -uw /
rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone
shutdown -h now

once it restarts, try to sign in to your account
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

do I type in one of the commands that I just wrote about?? They are half way up the page the botXXXXX XXXXXne is still the AppleYukon2 etc:

type only these commands one by one

mount -uw /
rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone
shutdown -h now
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

-sh: smount: command not found (after first line) then a line that says

:/ root#

are you giving a space in between?

For example, the first screen should be like this

mount -uw / (note the space between mount and -uw and also between uw and /)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Everything is now off line except phone and TV ran a report on my printer says mac address filtering check failed. have Mac Ip adress etc.....is there anyway you can call me at(NNN) NNN-NNNNmy wife is going to kill me

I wish I could, but unfortunately that is against our policies. We can only have a chat through this website

are you looking to resolve your printer issue now?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

all my computers are now down i think everything runs through the mac my ip is192.168.1.108 can you look at it? She is going to kill me as she is a teacher and uses hers for grades.....HELP PLEASE

Unfortunately, I don't have any access to your network. You might need a network specialist to walk you through that.

you can try turning off the router and turn it back on after a couple of minutes and check whether that resolves the issue.

If not, let me know and I will opt out so that a different expert with knowledge in networks can help you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I tried the router....its in the network as the tv and phone work. It says root deviceis mounted read only.Does that mean anything. This all started with our commu i ation. I have cerebral palsy and it is really hard to type on my phone

Let's try this.

Restart the mac and immediately hold down the command and the S key.

Once you are in a terminal, type the following

/sbin/fsck -fy (space between the k and the -)

Press the return key. If it finds a problem and repairs it, immediately run the above fsck command again until the drive checks OK.

After it has check/repaired your disk, type 'reboot' (without quotes) and hit the return key again.

let's see whether it boots in normally.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

it says no such file or directory and goes back to :/root# XXXXX next line

This could be a kernel issue or a hardware issue. Not sure what exactly that means.

Unfortunately, I am out of ideas. I will opt out here so that a different expert with knowledge on the hardware side working of a mac might be able to help you out.

You will receive an email notification once another expert replies.

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Hello! My name isXXXXX will work diligently to provide accurate advice and information.

Let's see if we can't get you back on track.

What is currently on the screen?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

the last line is :/ root# XXXXX that -sh: s/sbin/fsck: no such file or directory...sorry. I'm slow but I have "C.P." a and I am using my pbone. E very computer is off line I really need your help.

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Alright, please try typing the following and hitting return

fsck -fy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

it's checking systems

root file.catalog etc. the last thing it says is "The volume Mac. HD appears to be O.K. *****File system was modified****

:/ root#

I have my IP and Mac adress if needed

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

did you get my reply?

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks please run it once more...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

in progress

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. :-)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

did you get my last reply? everything same except no "File sytem modified" If evething is O.K. I'm back to square one and need to know how to get into my system since I forgot my password !!

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Okay, great. Your file system should be fine now...

Enter these terminal commands to create a brand new admin account (hitting return after each line):

mount -uw /

rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone

shutdown -h now

4. Once the Mac restarts, you will be given the choice to create a brand new user.

5. Once the user has been created, you may use it to modify the password XXXXX your original account by going into System Preferences > Accounts.

6. Then, log out of the "new" account and back into your original user account.

7. Once back in your original user account, you can return to System Preferences > Accounts and delete the "new" account you made.

If you continue to have questions on this topic, just reply back to this discussion. I will be more than happy to work with you further. Hopefully, this info will answer your question and if so please don't forget to positively rate my service . Please remember that when you are asked to give a rating, you are rating my service only and not this website itself or your issue.

Thanks and good luck,
John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience: 20+ years in the computer/Mac industry