Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience:  7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

cannot sync computer with projector. I have a MacBook Pro running

cannot sync computer with projector. I have a MacBook Pro running OS X 10.8.3 and a PJ258D Viewsonic projector
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hi and Welcome. My Name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

What does your Projector shows when you connect your Mac to it ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It just shows the viewsonic logic and at the bottom it indicates it is searching

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Is this is the first time you are using the Projector with your Mac ? Did you put your projector's input source to your Mac ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It is not the first time. I turned on the computer and then connected the projector. I also turned on the projector first and then connected the projector. Either way I only get the viewsonic image.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Does the projector works with other devices ? Did you tried changing the cables ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hi Lawford, when did this problem started ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Lawford, Since we don't know whether the problem is with the Projector or with your Mac or with the connection, we can try some basic troubleshooting steps on your Mac.

First reset the PRAM and NVRAM of your Mac. Follow the steps below;
  1. Turn off your Mac
  2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command(Apple), Option, P, and R.
  3. Turn it back on and immediately hold down the Command(Apple)-Option-P-R keys.
  4. Release the keys when you hear the startup/chime sound for 3 times.
  5. Let the Mac boot up.

If that didn't work, disconnect the projector from your Mac. Restart your Projector. After 3 minutes, connect the Projector to your Mac. Then on your Mac, goto System Preferences > Displays. In Displays, hold down Option key on your Keyboard and a Detect Display button will appear there, next to Help (?) button. Click it and does it recognize your Projector ?
graphic

Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting.

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

None of those steps worked. It is either a software problem or a connector problem. The projector works with a desktop running OSX 10.4.1

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Your Mac should automatically recognize the Projector. Goto Applications > Utilities folder and open Disk Utility. In Disk Utility, select your hard disk. Click Repair Permission. Then click Verify Disk and if asked to repair, click Repair Disk.

Then download and install this utility, Onyx from here : http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/11582/onyx

Open Onyx. In Onyx, click on Maintenance tab. Select Rebuild tab, check all boxes and then Execute. The under Cleaning select System and User and check all boxes on both and Execute. When it finished, restart your Mac.Connect your projector again. Then goto System Preferences > Displays and see if it recognize there.

If that didn't work too, then can you try different cables ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The disk is ok and does not need repair.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Did you run Onyx ? If not, please run it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am not sure why it is necessary to run Onyx if the disk is ok and what will it do for the system.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
It will clean up corrupted system files, invalid preferences, restore some default settings etc

Best Regards,
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
The best way to find whether it is a software problem or connection problem is, try your Projector in a new user account. Goto System Preferences > Users & Groups. Create a sample administrator account in there. Then logout from Apple menu and login to the new account. Connect your Projector and see if it works or not. If not, then it must be a connection problem.

Best Regards,
Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience: 7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
HI there,
It's me Ashik again. It has been a few days, so I am just checking in with you to see if you still need help.

If you have not returned from an info request I sent out, please do so now so I can help you resolve this concern. I want you to be happy with the service I am providing, so if we still need to work on this let me know.

Thanks and Have a great day,