Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc

I AM HAVING DIFFICULTY reinstalling mountain Lion on my MacBook

I AM HAVING DIFFICULTY reinstalling mountain Lion on my MacBook Air after a complete restore (so that I could sell it).

I have followed the protocol of holding down "command" and "r" while turning the computer on. Here's what happens

1) Select option to download OSX Mountain Lion
2) Select disk to save the install (HD)
3). Agree to terms and download
4) Enter my apple ID
5) the download begins and shifts to another OS X Mountain Lion Screen (states "downloading additional components")
6) Message at bottom of screen says "About 56 hours remaining..

Why would this be the case and how can I remedy the issue?

Thank you for your help.

Tommy B
Hi Tommy. My Name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Since you are going to sell it, did you erased the hard drive before reinstalling the Mountain Lion ?

Also did you upgraded the RAM of your Mac ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, I erased the hard drive first (oops!)
I didn't upgrade the RAM
Tommy, Erasing the hard drive is the first step. So it is OK.

How long have it been showing the "56 Hours Remaining" ? And what is the Speed of your internet connection ? You can check it from if you have another computer that is connected to the same network in there.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It has been showing that for over a day
I'm doing the Internet test now.
It is frozen then. Do you have access to another Mac that have Mountaion Lion installed ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Do you have a Flash Drive or USB Drive handy ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have a Seagate portable disk (backup )
Any way to get a Flash Drive or USB Drive, preferably a 8GB one ?

We need to reformat the USB Drive. I believe you don't want to format/erase the portable drive.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have the Seagate external hard drive with 1 Terabyte Will that work??
Yes, but is it OK with you to erase it ? Evrything from that hard drive will be erased though
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes. That's fine
Tommy, what we are going to do is, we can create a new Mac OS X Mountaion Lion disk. We can use your Seagate external hard drive for that.

First, on your other Mac, goto AppStore and re-download Mountaion Lion. See here :

After downloading Mountaion Lion, download the Lion Disk Maker application from here :

Then connect your external hard drive to your Mac and create a Mountaion Lion disk using the Lion Disk Maker application. Make sure you choose your external hard drive in Lion Disk Maker and not the internal hard drive. This will erase your external hard drive and copy the Mountain Lion installation files to the external hard drive and make it bootable.

Once it is finished, connect the external hard drive to your Macbook Air, restart your Mac and immediately hold down the Option key on your keyboard. Keep it held down and it will bring the Startup Manager screen. From there, select the external hard drive (it should have the name "Recovery HD") and press return key. This will boot your Mac into Mountaion Lion installer. Then follow the onscreen instructions to reinstall the Mountaion Lion

FYI Command + R while booting is Mountain Lion Internet Recovery. So you need to a high speed internet (broadband) to make it work.

Please let me know how it goes Tommy..

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I will let you know. I may have questions during the process. Can I simply contact you in reply to expert box??
Yep. Add a bookmark of this page, so we won't lose our connection
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I've never had two questions in a session. May I ask another? If so, it is quite simple. My brother wants to download Photo Impact Pro 13 for his MacBook. Is that software available for Mac, and if not, is there an earlier version that is or another program that is very similar?
I'm not supposed to answer another question (different subject) in one thread. But I'll answer it. Unfortunately, Photo Impact Pro 13 is not written for Mac, only for Windows.

If you are looking for Image Editing tools, then you should get Adobe Photoshop Elements or Adobe Photoshop

Photoshop Elements :

Adobe Photoshop :

(Good thing is, you can try the trial version of Elements or Photoshop before buying it)

Another one is Corel Painshop, see here :

Let me know what you think. If you want, I will keep searching for other alternatives.
Hi Tommy,
It's me Ashik again. It has been a few days, so I am just checking in with you to see if you still need help, and if not to say Thanks for using JustAnswer.

I want you to be happy with the service I am providing, so if we still need to work on this let me know. If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them.

Thanks and Have a great day,