Jins M. N.
Jins M. N., Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience:  Mac Expert, 7+ years of experience in installation and trouble shooting of mac osx and apps
50064670

my keyboard is locked

Customer Question

my keyboard is locked
Category: Mac
Expert:  Jins M. N. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, Thanks a lot for posting your query here. I am Jins here to assist you. None of the keys on your keyboard not working ? Are the lights on the keyboard on ? Is your mouse working ?

• Disconnect and reconnect your keyboard. Make sure that the connector is completely inserted into the port. (USB plugs fit into ports one way only, and won't allow you to make a connection if you try to connect them upside-down.) Test the keyboard again.
  • Connect your keyboard to a different USB port.
  • Try a different keyboard with your computer if possible, or your keyboard with a different Mac.

Note: If you use Mac OS X v10.4.x and an external Apple Aluminum Keyboard, you may need to download and install certain updates. Mac OS X v10.4.11 or later is recommended.

Let me know the result.

Regards
Jins

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

How do I install a keyboard update if the keys are not working? I am using another laptop to get this info.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Are you still there Jins?

Expert:  Jins M. N. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Shirl, sorry for the delay in reply. Didn't your mouse working ? Forget about the update, I think you can't login without entering the password. Can you try other suggestions like trying another usb port and check the keyboard with another mac etc ?

Regards
Jins
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am using a laptop and do not use a mouse.

Expert:  Jins M. N. replied 1 year ago.

Okay, then you are using a macbook right ? Is the touchpad on it working ? I am asking this to check weather the whole system is hang or only the keyboard.

Now, press the Option (alt) key on your keyboard five times and check the result.

regards
Jins

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

nothing. yes l am using a macbook

Expert:  Jins M. N. replied 1 year ago.

Hi Shirls, is the llight on keyboard on ? Can you on/ff the caps lock/num lock lights ?

Anyway please try an smc reset. Power off your macbook, power back on after shut down.Immediately hold the following keys:

Left shift, contol, option, (press these keys immediatly after start up before the start upchime ring) continue to hold till the gear stops spinning. (check this apple KB article to see the details on how to perform an smc reset)

Reboot. Let me know the result.

Regards
Jins

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no luck

Expert:  Jins M. N. replied 1 year ago.

Hi Shirl, Did you completed the SMC reset ? or can't you do that because of keyboard not working ?

Regards
Jins

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I could not do it because the keys are not working

Expert:  Jins M. N. replied 1 year ago.
Okay, please turn off the system. remove the battery and ac power. Hold down the power button for 3 minutes. Insert the battery and turn on the system. Check the result. If it not helps, remove battery and connect ac power. Turn on the system and check.

regards
Jins
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Give me sometime to find a phillips screwdriver that small. I will get back to you in about an hour.

Expert:  Jins M. N. replied 1 year ago.
Okay, take your own time and let me know the result.

Regards
Jins
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok could not find the correct size screwdriver...guess I will have to take it to an Apple Store. Thanks for your help.

Expert:  Jins M. N. replied 1 year ago.
Okay Shirl, if you think I helped you in someways please give me a positive rating. then only i will get paid for my time and efforts. Otherwise you can ask for the refund of your security deposit on info@justanswer.com

Anyway let me know, what the apple store did on your system to resolve the issue. It will help me while assisting the customers in future. Remember us when you need any assistance again. Yor business is very valuable for us.

Regards
Jins